View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
ukfan22
Great young streetballer

ukfan22 has decent reputation
Default Re: David Falk says 2012 is a one-player Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
I like the Ibaka/Aldrige hybrid comparison, I think it's somewhat fair to make.

I do think he's being overhyped as a generational player - to me, he's not a LeBron, O'Neal, or Duncan type of prospect, but he's still the clear number one pick.

The thing is, his severe lack of strength and girth concerns me a lot. It'll eventually fill out, no doubt, but for the time being, it's going to hurt him a lot. First off, for obvious reasons, it's going to lend to stronger guys being able to push him around and post him up.

Secondly, it's going to hurt his own post game if he can't back anyone up. Of course, I haven't seen as much of Davis as someone like UKfan but off the top of my head, I remember how against Kansas, Davis was having an incredibly frustrating time being able to get it in the hoop in the post against the tall and strong front court of Robinson and Withey.

I also think that considering he was a guard, his jumper and handles are nothing special. For a big guy prospect and for a guy his size, it's a fair deal above average. But those aspects of his skillsets are really being overhyped in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Davis is the best player in the draft and is a franchise player. I just personally think he's being a bit overhyped and am just looking to point out his flaws and I admittedly didn't really talk about his positives.

The Kansas game was one game, and I'm just going to say it: Withey fouled him, a lot. That might sound like I'm making excuses, but I genuinely felt that way as I was watching the game, and I still do. If you watch the game, he displays several post moves that I think bode well for the future, as he adds weight. And the game before, against Gorgui Dieng, another excellent shot blocker, he was excellent, putting in 18, 14 and 6 on 7-8 shooting (and they weren't all dunks at all).

I also don't think he's on the Lebron/Shaq level, but I think he's comparable to Durant and Rose coming out.
ukfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote