View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

acidbasesalt has decent reputationacidbasesalt has decent reputation
Default Re: Maggette traded for Ben Gordon, 2013 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Bobcats just traded the expiring contract of Corey Maggette for Ben Gordon and Detroit's protected 2013 first round pick.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/80...ons-ben-gordon

Thoughts? Ben Gordon makes 14 million dollars over the 13-14 season, so it gives us a lot less flexibility for next seasons free agency. I think it's pretty safe to assume that won't really matter though.

What's more important is that while I'm not unhappy to see Maggette go, Ben Gordon has had a terrible time in Detroit over the past two seasons and might already be strongly on the decline at 28 years old. We'll have to wait and see whether he can contribute.

I would say we made a good deal. Maggette is not someone you want building a rotation as he can miss a lot of playing time due to injuries. While "Ben" Gordon appears to be on a decline, his scoring punch off the bench is very valuable. While paying 14 million to a bench guy seems ridiculous, anything can happen in 2 years, including Gordon retiring, him amnestied, or packaged for another player/pick.

Now what do we do with the cap space and the 2nd overall pick?
I really prefer Portland's 6th and 11th but it is a bit of a stretch.
Cleveland's 4th and 24th are perhaps no longer available since they realize us not picking Beal with 2nd overall, which is kind of dumb anyway. Washington appears to be picking either a big man or Kidd-Gilchrist, so it doesn't seem to be a threat to Cleveland.

Anyway, if no trade regarding the 2nd pick happens, I personally would go with either Kidd-Gilchrist or Thomas Robinson. I look at picks this way. Instead of going for the best possible potential, look for the player with least defects/weaknesses. We don't need someone with an attitude and anger issues such as DeMarcus Cousins.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote