Thread: Trade thoughts
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Trade thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
That's exactly why I feel that the amnesty clause does little to nothing (may actually hurt more to use than not use at all). The player still gets paid full amount for practically doing nothing (could take the team couple years to pay back the full amount), and he also becomes a free-agent. He can go sign for however much he wants with whoever he wants - he can have two valid "contracts" at same time. That's a joke.

As a whole, I am enraged with how the contracts work in nba. Ties a team up for very long time and owners are stupid enough to give out OUTRAGEOUS contracts to top other owners. No contract should be 100% guaranteed, especially in a sport where talent can degrade quickly if a player doesn't continue work throughout a season and off-season. I have seen player after player work their ass off in contract season and then just slack off after getting their deal. Amnesty clause is supposed to give a team a way out if such a situation occurs (talent degrades significantly or a major injury of a big deal), but how does it? The garbage contract doesn't come off the books; the player still gets paid. It is not a way out if you really think about it.

What I absolutely hate is that the amnesty clause can only be used one time only after CBA negotiation. So what happens after that? Problems go back to being exactly the way they were before for each of the teams that already used the amnesty clause. I truly wish there was a way for teams to take exactly 1 deal off the books ENTIRELY and make contract void every 2-3 years or something. That is MORE than fair. If you don't want to lose your contract, keep working hard. You slack off, you're OUT. 15 players a team - do not slack off. You still get a chance to sign with anyone instantly afterwards.

One thing I absolutely detest was what happened to Houston with TMac. Houston doctors pronounced him healthy and ready to play but TMac said no and took his sweet time to play again. Same thing happened with the Knicks with Stephon Marbury. I know I should have given them the benefit but atleast a "3rd professional opinion" should have been used in to settle it. Instead their respective teams were forced to pay them their full salary, I believe around 20 mil/yr while sitting on their butt.
Another option is that if a player missed 40% of the season due to injury, players should be paid on disability pay based on what is "reasonable" as an athlete, maybe atleast 30% of what they usually make.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote