View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Ever been in an altercation/argument/fight during pick up game?

I have been in an endless stream of altercations and arguments during pickup games. It's more or less a right of passage for anyone who plays with regularity. As some other posters have said, arguments tend to find you whether you're an even-keeled guy, a hot head, or anything in between.

If I had to guess, I think the highest percentage of my altercations have come from being fouled in an unsportsmanlike manner on more than one occasion in a given day. Regardless of where one plays, there always seems to be a guy out there whose solution to stopping an effective offensive play on blacktop is to shove, undercut, or clothes line. I brush most of that off (as I've often felt a response is what the defender is looking for in the first place) but sometimes it seems as if saying nothing only encourages more of the same behavior. At that point, I feel I must step up and say something, and often it becomes an argument.

I've also had a lot of dumb arguments over the years too, in response to poor foul calls, players who did or did not step out of bounds, whether the top of the backboard is inbounds, whether I could jump to catch an alley-oop then come down with it, etc. Again, those are just going to happen by default. Even when playing with the mindset of "just worry about the game, let the dumb calls roll off your back", opportunities still arise where it seems necessary for me to speak up and clarify situations (again, a good example would be my opponent attempting to call a travel on me for coming down to the floor after jumping to catch an alley-oop). Unfortunately, it all seems to be a part of the game.

With all that said, I've never been in a fist fight on the basketball court. A lot of malicious pushes and threats, but it seems my opponents (and myself) never truly want to take it to the next level, regardless of how pissed and physical we are with one another. I take comfort in that. It tells me that even when we're all going crazy at one another, we still seem to be able to control ourselves. Usually, after a particularly heated altercation, I'll make a point to high five the guy after the game and apologize if I was in the wrong (which I frequently am). Even if I was in the right, I'll still apologize for making a big deal of things and I'll re-assure him that I don't take anything beyond the court.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 07-31-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote