View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is Rotten Tomatoes overrated?

First, to be one of the critics that count for the main score, you need to have your reviews published routinely (there is some credential that you must meet, it is explained somewhere on the site).

Then there are a few things one should look at when determining certain things. First, most people look at the %. However, that can be misleading if you overlook the average score. Some movies will have an 85% approval rating, and people interpret that as a great movie, but the average rating may only be 6.4/10, meaning that 85% of the critics thought the movie was slightly better than average. Even more important than those scores IMO, is the quotes from different reviews. If you know what you like in a movie, the quotes (which generally are good at avoiding spoilers) give you some idea of strengths and weaknesses, and you can compare those to what you like in movies. I've seen reviews for movies with 25% approval ratings, which sounds like a terrible movie, but then I will see that many of the critics hated the over the top violence of said movie. I personally like over the top violence in my movies, so that sometimes is an indication that I may like the movie more than the average critic.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote