View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #27
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

BlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Lakers switching to Princeton Offense in '12-'13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
It's not an insult to Nash, it is an insult to Mike Brown who has no idea what he's doing ( Sorry to be so redundant on this ). As I have been saying, ANY system is better than anything MB has come up with....or is capable of coming up with.
To say they'll be using the Princeton offense is like saying a Ferrari and an 18 wheeler are using tires. A traditional Princeton offense cannot work in the NBA, it will be used merely as a base that will have to be re-designed to work with the players we have (God help us). A quality head coach wouldn't do this but instead simply run a series of pick and rolls.......faster to learn, more effective and works perfectly with every player we have.
I mentioned most of last year that any good AAU/High school coach would destroy the entire league with the players we have running a pick and roll + 1......and now we have Nash......Damn, I'd love to drive that machine!!!!!
It's just a damn shame that our coach knows absolutely nothing about offense he won't know if what Eddie Jordan is doing is good or bad.....just has to trust him.

So from what I've literally just read on wikipedia/other sources as well as from my already existing knowledge of the triangle offense.. the princeton offense the Lakers want to implement would be, as you stated, severely modified to fit both Brown's limited knowledge of the offense (believe he implemented it in Cleveland) as well as the team's obvious predisposition to run the triangle. From what I've read the princeton offense relies mostly on spacing, a dominant big man a lot of off-ball action as "backdoor cutters are the hallmark of the offense". This would mean that the cutting action would be more central than the passing ability of Howard or the ability for Howard and Gasol to make three-pointers, which is at least above par from what i've seen. After Howard you have three of the greatest passers at their position in Nash, Bryant and Gasol.

While i seriously doubt Brown's offensive acumen I would think that his assistants in Kuester and Person know what their doing, or at least do their homework. I'm for any type of system that both the coach and the players can relate to.

Anyways in the end a new offensive system is good and well for the regular season but come crunch time in the playoffs it will essentially be kobe/nash+gasol/dwight pick and rolls as well as just feeding the ball down low to dwight and gasol.

Last edited by BlueandGold : 08-17-2012 at 04:14 PM.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote