View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #34
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Free throw routine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Thanks for tips guys. Recently I've had a couple people tell me my biggest problem if I want to play at the high school level is developing a quicker release on my shot. Does anyone a good way to practice a quicker release when your by yourself. Right now I'm just practicing catch&shoot by spinning it out to myself and shooting.
Ideally, I think you'd be best served if you could find at least one other person to shoot with. When I was in school, I couldn't always count on my best friends to want to shoot with me, so I usually rolled with whoever was willing to put in work.

My preferred method, when I have at least one other person available, is to partner shoot. It's really as simple as:

1) One person shoots
2) Gets their own rebound
3) Passes to teammate who's already spotting up or running as if they're coming off a screen
4) Teammate shoots, gets own rebound, repeat
5) Aim for pre-conceived goal number of makes (we'll usually do sets of 50 or 100 makes)

I much prefer the partner drill over solo shooting because it allows players to catch the ball in game-ready positions, as opposed to grabbing the ball out of the hoop, jogging to position, turning, and firing.

With all that said, I'm certainly familiar with sometimes having difficulty finding someone to shoot with. So, if you must shoot alone, I recommend having a plan (as opposed to just walking onto the court and firing away). This means, I may plan to start things off by self passing on the baseline, firing a shot, quickly grabbing it out of the net on a make (or making a putback layup if I miss) then quickly repeating the self-pass and shot on the other baseline. I may do this in sets of 10 before sliding to another position. Then perhaps I'll work on self-passing, catching, jabbing, taking one dribble, then rising up from the wing. Either way, to maximize efficiency, I'll set goals and complete them. In between drills, I'll usually aim to make five or ten free throws in a row (or whatever number may push a shooter beyond their normal standards).

Anyhow, in terms of specific tips to speed up one's shot, the first thing I always suggest is to ensure one is low to the ground prior to beginning the shooting process. When a player is standing straight up before receiving a pass, it tends to lead to an "Upright, bend knees, then explode back upward" situation. Whereas, when a player is already low upon receiving a pass, it's just a matter of "explode and shoot".

The use of one's legs will also reduce any sort of heave or catapult motion a young player may have developed. Often, middle schoolers (or younger) will attempt to extend their range before their body's ready, so they'll compensate with an elaborate "step-into" motion or by throwing the rock from over their shoulder. Both of these actions often reduce themselves with age, but sometimes stick around in some latent respect for high school. This is why, once again, it's important to establish one's legs as the primary power source for a shot, as it'll shorten shot prep and lead to quicker gathers and releases.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-20-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote