View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #27
Val Leppert

Default James White

I had a chance to work out with James White a few times in Atlanta during the summer of 2005. He is a pleasant kid who works hard on refining his game - including the weights.

He reminds me of a young Eddie Jones as he should be able develop into a terrific perimeter defender on the pro level.

He went back to UC to refine his game - I think he showed improved maturity and basketball IQ on the court this past season. While his critics in this forum make vaild points, we should remember that many athletic swing players who developed into NBA scorers weren't necessarilly great NCAA scorers due to style of play and true zone defenses on the collegiate level.

I don't t think that White was the best player in the draft but he certainly was the biggest steal - only time will tell who's right or wrong on this one. I agree that Phoenix would have been a great fit due to style of play; and the Lakers would have been a good fit as well with Jackson favoring Big Guards (eg. Ron Harper, Brian Shaw) . His defensive abilities and open court play would have been a nice complement to Bryant. Let's just hope that the Pacers find a way to develop him into the player he is capable of becoming.

Val Leppert

Atlanta, GA