View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Default Re: Basketball player diets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Okie dokey, normally my breakfast ls like a glass of Milo and some fruit, usually peaches. If I tried eating cereal I would throw up. Usually I eat it in the afternoon or an evening snack but I guess you've convinced me enough about processed food. And my coaches told me that the only meat I should be eating is lean chicken and fish, so I alternate between those dinners and pasta dinners. My grandma is having a hard time adjusting as she's used to cooking spicy meats of all different kinds. Also I'm trying to get bigger but eating a lot and doing pushups don't seem to help much. My coaches said to stay off weights cause my body is still growing, and my older friend told me to gain some more meat before trying to turn it into muscle. Besides protein and carbs what else so I need to get bigger? P.S. NotYetGreat, what kind of rice do you like? My family's favorite is this fragrant strain of Thai jasmine rice called Golden Phoenix.

I honestly think the whole weights will stun your growth is blown way out of proportion and propagated out of elders' fear that their kids, since young and not fully coordinated yet, will just crumble under the bar and get hurt. However, what hey say could be true, IF you don't lift properly. If you get a GOOD trainer, you'll be good. But anyway, I won't fight your coach's decision. How many times a week do you practice and when though? The best thing for you to do now is to get mobile (flexible muscles, smooth joints) and work on calisthenics, and by calisthenics, I don't mean your normal old' jumping jacks. Push-Ups (which you've gotten a head start on. good! ), chin-ups, bodyweight squats, etc. If you wanna get jacked without weights, those are good starting points. As for the chicken and fish, animal protein is animal protein. I would let gran'mama keep cooking the beef and pork. You need your fats too. If you can, the best oil to cook with is coconut oil. The regular cheap grocery stuff will do. I grew up on that stuff because my grandpa was the head honcho of some coconut oil company before and I always thought of myself as healthier than my friends. So yeah, if possible, cook with coconut oil (say no to Canola) and if you guys have it, drizzle olive oil on your meals.

P.S. - Once again, I'm Filipino. Rice is rice. But that's true, a good meal starts with good rice, and your jasmine shizz sounds pretty good. Pound on that white stuff, brother (save the ass for later).

P.P.S. - Sorry if I'm making these posts too lengthy for ya. Just hit this thread up if you want and I'll try to SparkNotes it.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote