View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Default Re: Basketball player diets?

I'll be honest, the one thing that makes gaining muscle hard is practicing your sport. Of course, being a basketball athlete, your priority should definitely be your skills and traits needed in your sport (shooting, dribbling, defense, conditioning, etc). Having a good amount of time focused there will take away time AND energy (energy being incredibly important here because you don't grow while you lift. You grow while you RECOVER - food, sleep, & stress management) in order for you to pursue other physical shizznits.

One thing you could do though if you're a bit short on time is do ladders. Since your legs get pretty worked during practice, I guess you could give them some rest and work your upper instead. Now, back to ladders, basically it's starting from 1 rep, resting a bit, then continually adding reps until you reach a point just BEFORE failure. If you had to grind out the last rep, stop.

Rest
Rest
Rest

What's nice about this is it lets you add volume without overly stressing or fatiguing you, and from the sound of your sched you need to be fresh A LOT (and you also got to keep them grades in check, li'l man. Moral obligation since I'm a future teacher haha). If I were you I'd alternate between the push-ups and chin-ups. I assume you find push-ups much easier, so what you could do is do a couple reps, say 2, then 1 rep for chin-ups. The next "step" on the ladder will be 4 push-ups and 2 chin-ups, then so on and so forth. Regardless of when you do this, the important thing to remember is to EAT LIKE A FRICKING HORSE AFTER. Like I said earlier (opinion-based though so you don't necessarily have to do what I do), breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. It's whatever meal you have after some intense physical activity.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote