View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Default Re: Has my jump shot form improved, and any critiques on my new form or dribbling?

I agree with kNIOKAS. Everything looks pretty good, except for when you bring up the ball for release. I'm not sure if I commented before, but I do remember watching that video from a year back and seeing that you really did need to tweak your shot. You have come a long way though, man. I'll tell you that. However, you really do need to work on bringing the ball up comfortably, because it looks like you're not totally comfortable with it and that part is pretty crucial. It not only sets up the direction of the ball once released, but it can also throw off your jump/ascent, which is BIG.

I think the best thing for you to do now is to do form shooting. And a lot of it. I personally hate the mentality of throwing up an infinite amount of shots in order for you to improve, but in this case, I really think you need to dial in that first motion of driving the ball up. Start close to the baset and experiment. You'll know you're doing it right when:

1) The upward motion is quick, yet not forced. When people think of a quick release, they often start cocking the ball back, which more often than not gives the ball a sharper trajectory and decreases the size of the rim since it's moving in too sharply. Another important thing to note here is that the elbow should move very minimally in this part. Excessive elbow flexion is another thing that causes the cocking back of the ball.

2) The upward motion doesn't cause you to flick the ball. I actually always start with form shooting before I do any of my higher intensity shooting drills. Always help me set up the rhythm and gets me to focus on not flicking the ball. Sure, sometimes, it goes in, but it's not natural. If you brought up the ball correctly, it won't make you feel like you just threw up a really awkward shot and cause you to let go of your follow-through on the release.

These are all I got right now and I'm not sure if I have anything up here in my noggin. If ever, I'll just get back to this thread. Good to see your improvement, man. That's what happens when you put in the work.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote