View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
WillC
Local High School Star

Default THE GREAT DEBATE: Ranking the Greatest Players of All-Time

One thing has become clear from recent 'greatest player' polls on ISH: the results are heavily influenced by modern fans acting like sheep to vote for their favourite players at the expense of more deserving - but less popular - alternatives. This skews the results in favour of popular and/or modern players.

Something else that I learned was that sometimes I find myself questioning my own judgement after reading a convincing argument written by someone else in favour of a different player.

Indeed, that is why I continue to come back to this forum. Despite the over abundance of childish posters with little knowledge, there is in fact a group of very knowledgeable members whose intelligence and common sense shines through.

All of the above helped me devise an unusual way of ranking players that I am excited about trialling here.

Here is how it will work:

- The goal is to establish an intelligently debated list of the greatest players of all-time.

- Each day, ISH members are invited to nominate a player of their choice.

- You can write a maximum of 200 words to justify your choice.

- Each day, I will select the winning player based upon the most persuasive and convincing nomination.

- Your 200 word nominations might include statistics, quotes, descriptions, explanations and video clips (etc) to help justify your decision.

This method should prove more robust than a poll which, as already mentioned, is a flawed system; I value the opinion of one expert over the votes of many less educated fans. Having said that, if you can write a convincing argument for your player, then I won't discriminate based on the quality of your previous posts. I have no friends or enemies here; I'm as unbiased as it gets.

Criteria for selecting players:

- It's completely up to you. NBA, ABA, pre-NBA, NCAA, individual awards, team success, peak, longevity, style, substance... it's up to you.

The Greatest Players of All-Time:

01 -
02 -
03 -
04 -
05 -
06 -
07 -
08 -
09 -
10 -
11 -