Utah Jazz announce Raja Bell won’t attend training camp
By Brian T. Smith
| The Salt Lake Tribune
The Jazz announced Friday that veteran guard Raja Bell won’t attend training camp next week.
"I have spoken with Raja and his representative, Herb Rudoy, and we have mutually agreed that although Raja remains under contract, it is in the best interest of all parties that he not rejoin the team next week when the Jazz begin training camp," Utah general manger Dennis Lindsey said in a news release. "We will now move forward focusing on Jazz basketball and our preparation for the upcoming season. We will have no further comment on this matter."
As of Thursday, Bell hadn’t been informed by the Jazz whether he was supposed to attend camp.
He appeared in Salt Lake City on Monday for a physical evaluation.
There has no progress in talks between sides during the past month, and a long-delayed buyout has been on the table since at least July.
Bell, 35, is set to make $3.5 million during the 2012-13 season, which is his last year under contract with the Jazz.
Bell was Utah’s primary free-agent acquisition during the summer of 2010 and served as the team’s main shooting guard the last two years.
He often clashed with coach Tyrone Corbin, though, and Bell said at the end of the 2011-12 season he didn’t want to play for Utah this year.