View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #40
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: IF Kobe gets Ring #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Lakers
Lets not get silly with facts. Kareem has more rings than Magic. Fact. Also, to the post regarding longevity, Magic had to retire early. HIV. Yeah, we got got by Jordans Bulls, but we still made it to the Finals! And Magic had gotten to the point in his career where he was elevating his low post game to new untapped levels and becoming more of a strong forward. Dont tell me he didnt have at least 4 more seasons left in him to contend for a title. If that HIV bug didnt strike, who knows? Man might have got 6 or 7... Yes, it would be tough without Kareem, but lets not forget, we got to the Finals in '89 when old battle tested warrior Kareems slow ass could barely even move up the court anymore. Has there ever been a more exciting basketball player to watch on the court besides Magic? What he did for the sport cant be put into words... Thered be no Stapes Center Lake Show if it wasnt for Magic and Showtime at The Great Western Forum. He is a pioneer. Maybe when Kobe Beans career is all said and done, he might have acomplished more in terms of scoring titles and rings, but for being a pioneer and face of a legacy in sports history, he cant equal Magic Johnson.

Well, you make some damn great points.....i'll go a bit further.
There would be no Lakers if not for Elgin Baylor who saved the franchise from folding like so many others had.......eventually enabling the team to move to LA.....he was a pioneer, Jerry West.....the LOGO, despite taking forever to win the title exemplified the spirit and greatness of the Lakers and has done more for the franchise than anyone else. I would be remiss to leave out Mr. Chick Hearn who was the voice and spirit...and mentor to this franchise and was so essential for all those many years the NBA games were not televised and you could only get games on radio....with the exception of a few nationally televised games.....even some NBA finals games aired at 11:30pm after the news. When you think of the Forum, you will always think of Magic Johnson and YES, if not for him, Staples wouldn't be there, 5 banners wouldn't be there......but reality is that when you think of Staples Center, now and throughout it's history you will only think of Kobe, this is his house, this is his team and all of the "Moments" within belong to Kobe. 81 points will live forever, his 5+ rings will be THE LAKERS, for the years to come, unsurpassed by anyone in a Lakers uniform......as it is now, kids don't know Magic the way we know Magic. Would Magic have won more rings if he hadn't retired that doesn't make any difference, this is about reality not speculation......maybe Kobe wins another 3 titles if he appeased Shaq and now would have 8 rings....who knows, who cares.
Reallity is that Magic may have an overall edge on offense but Kobe has an enormous edge on defense and is and will be remembered as the greatest Laker of all time.

I only mentioned players I saw play live...so no Mikan.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote