View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Older ISH'ers who are the reputed leapers and "above basket" dunkers from Wilt's Era?

Help me make this list - I'm talkin the "freaks" of Wilt's era - the guys that could dunk on anyone and played against Wilt for at least 2 seasons. The closest things to the Vince Carters and Dwight Howards of that time.

Off the top of my head (with my reasoning):

Guards and Forwards:
Elgin Baylor - reputation + got maybe a dozen dunks on film, two look great
Gus Johnson - reputation + got half a dozen + dunks on film, one is spectacular another is great
Joe Caldwell - reputation + got a few dunks on film, at least two look good
Connie Hawkins - reputation + got a few dunks on film, at least two look spectacular
Johnny Green - reputation + got 3 good dunks on film
Randy Smith - reputation + got one spectacular dunk on film
Greg Smith - reputation + got several great dunks on film
(Maybe Tommy Hawkins?) - reputation... but I've only got maybe 3 dunks on film, unfortunately none look good or special at all
(Maybe Happy Hairston?) - not aware of a reputation but got a few dunks on film that looked better than say, Tommy Hawkins
(Maybe Fred Carter?) - not aware of any reputation but has two good dunks on film
(Maybe Dave Bing?) - not aware of any reputation but has at least one good dunk on film
(Maybe Lou Hudson?) - not aware of any reputation but has at least one good dunk on film

Centers / PF's
Bill Russell - reputation + many dunks on film, many are great at least a few are spectacular
Elvin Hayes - reputation + a few dunks on film, at least one is spectacular
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - reputation + nearly all his dunks from that time look great
Luke Jackson - not aware of any reputation but I have two dunks on film that look powerful / great
Walt Bellamy - not aware of any reputation but at least two of his numerous dunks look great on film
(Maybe young Willis Reed?) - not aware of any reputation but some of his dunks look powerful on film

Obviously more than just these guys "could" or "did" dunk I've prob got footage of at least 1/3rd of the league dunking but I don't want to make a list of people who merely "could" dunk (like say, a Jerry West, Satch Sanders, or John Havlicek) I just want the players who could do it over anyone and built up a reputation for themselves. So if I've got players on here who shouldn't be let me know, and if I'm missing players let me know - all I'm going by right now is footage, or reputation based on testimonial, or both but chances are I'm missing players or possibly even giving too much credit to others based on them getting filmed with a decent dunk (which might otherwise be a rare occurance) in an 60s/early 70's game or documentary.

Once all these above-the-rim players are accounted for I could make a top 10 dunkers of the Wilt-era mix or something

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 10-18-2012 at 02:42 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote