View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #30
Rojogaqu11
Great young streetballer

Rojogaqu11 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Why aren't I getting better?

Not to hijack this thread with my personal experience but I'd like to add that at almost 30 years old I went back to play basketball after maybe a 5 year hiatus. I was never a bad player but I had above average skills on a scrawny, prematurely old and weak body. I really felt out of place. I just kept practicing by simulating different game situations.
I think that your case may be that you're not practicing the right stuff. Focus your practices on becoming proficient in one thing at a time. Get your basics checked. Maybe start by understanding how your body moves when playing. Think more about your legs than your arms at the start. Find anything that could be improved through strength training or by increasing your endurance. Check your sleep habits, diet, take a physical exam, get your duties straight, etc. just do anything that will convince you that you are healthy and ready to accomplish your goal.
No matter what you hear, being 25 is NOT being old. You are young!. If you focus and try hard, you will gain something eventually. Just be patient and smart, because if you get frustrated easily, or you expect unrealistic results, then you need to focus on building your character before building your basketball skills. No one succeeds in a competitive activity with little effort or without a plan.

The most important thing is to have fun. If you don't have fun while trying out new skills, drills, diets, exercises, playing with others, etc. then you're probably placing too much effort on something that isn't worthwhile.
At your height, dreaming to reach the NBA is a very difficult task, and you would have to see what players like Nate Robinson, Boykins, etc. had to go through to get there. It's not impossible, but your main goal should always be to make basketball a rewarding experience no matter the context you're in. As long as you enjoy what you do, and it's something that creates something positive for you and those around you, then it's definitely meant for you even if you are not "successful" at it.
Rojogaqu11 is offline   Reply With Quote