View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #1257
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: 2012 College Football Discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Ole Miss? Lost to Texas 66-31 and lost to Vandy. Their wins over div I-A teams have a combined record of 10-30.
Mizzou? Lost to Vandy and beat nobody of consequence.
Why should I believe both or either would be ranked if they played in a different conference?

The problems go beyond just the SEC. I will say that I'm not a fan of this SEC entitlement BS. Yeah, they have a nice conference, but not all the teams have to play all the tough teams. Georgia's resume isn't that impressive for example. Some make it seem like only SEC teams have to play tough opponents. The problem isn't that the SEC is too tough or some nonsense like that, but it's that the system in place sucks. A playoff system would alleviate some of it.

Spot on.

The SEC is just the conference that ESPN and the BCS decided would be the easiest to force down our throats, and they accepted the role. With the money, prestige, recruiting advantages, etc involved, any other conference would have jumped at the chance too.

The equation is pretty simple. Overrate an entire conference to start the season. Now, that doesn't mean they don't have some good teams that deserve Top 10 status. But if you cram enough teams from one conference into the Top 10-20, you create the "yeah, but they're all so good!" notion that carries the SEC year after year. Georgia? South Carolina? Florida? LSU? Flawed teams that are no better than teams in any conference in the nation. So, like every other conference in the unpredictable game that is college football, they beat each other with no apparent rhyme or reason. UNLIKE any other conference, they get points for losing because, well, they were #5 or 7 or whatever in the polls. Anybody who thinks South Carolina or Florida would go on the road and win against the better Big 12 or PAC 12 teams is fooling themselves.

We've seen it time and again. #4 or 5 non-glamour loses on the road vs a Top 20 team on a missed FG and drops like a rock in the polls. "Well, told you so...they di8dn't play anybody". A top ranked SEC team loses at home to another SEC team...and ends up in the most putrid excuse for a "championship" game that's ever existed. Why? "Well, because they played all those great SEC teams".

The deck is stacked. They've managed to sell their crap to people through ESPN, who is damn well going to protect their investment. And in the end, an undefeated (or two) from outside the ol boys club gets passed over for a team with a loss. I hope I'm wrong this year. I'll believe it when I see it.

And the playoff system will be more of the same: handpicked teams. At least, hopefully, they haven't figured out how to corrupt that before it even starts. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Worst part is I love college football. A bit less each frustrating year, but I love it still. The unpredictability of the games, the atmosphere, the competition. But in the end, I know I'm just as deluded as a WWE fan who thinks what they're getting is real.

Last edited by JMT : 11-11-2012 at 08:43 AM.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote