View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #44
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Sources: Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
He agreed to having Woodson hired in New York and is now looking at Mcmillan, to me that sends a message he's willing to outsource the defense.
Chuck Pearson is also rumored to be staying, he was in charge of the defense the last year Phil was coaching.

It's also fair to consider what we can actually expect from this group of players defensively. If we can hit the open shots at a good rate I think this team should be 1st or 2nd offensively. But defensively what do you expect?
I know we have Dwight but people are old and just doesn't move as fast as they used to.
Last year under Brown the defensive specalist we had the 17th(!!!) ranked defense in the league and this year so far we're 14th.
So what can we realistically expect from these players?
I think if we can have a perhaps top 7-10 ranked defense and number 1 or 2 offense it would be a pretty strong combination, and I think there's a better chance of achieving that for this group of players than to say they have to form into an elite defensive unit when the potential isn't really there.
And just to clarify when I talk about offensive and defensive rankings I'm talking about effectiveness per possesion and not points total.

This team need needs good offense to have good defense, because when we miss shots and make turnovers(Lakers have an insane ammount of turnovers so far) the other team attacks in our weakest spot transition defense.

I think 'Antoni can get the optimal out of this group offensively, he got the same point guard albeit older, the best big man in the league and one of the best wing players ever, they will do great, take responsibility away from Artest so he doesn't have to make hard decisions, he's looked horrible in both the princeton and triangle because his mind can't process the decisions fast enough, also he can't dribble and have a hard time shooting, shit...he's tough to watch these days. I bet if Meeks can shoot like he did last year at 37 or so % he will get more time because he'll open things up considerably.

I could be wrong about all of this and we fail miserably, but I'm just trying to look at the possibilites from a positive point of view, it can't all be negative thoughts

Chuck Person will never help anyone's defense, it was a joke that Phil let him try. The guy was an incredible shooter but never played an ounce of defense in his entire career......that was like hiring Shaq to teach free throw shooting Brown actuall got that one thing right this year, he had Person working on Dwight's free throw shooting, I always said a legendary shooter like Person should be their shooting coach....nothing else. I'd be happy with a top 10 in defense....I do think we have the potential to be top 5......with the right HEAD COACH, which we don't have.

Good offense to have good defense......yes, that does help but it doesn't do it all, you still have to have aggressive play, strong, active rebounding and great rotations. 'Antoni doesn't give practice time for defense.

Keep your positive attitude I would love to join you but after enduring the idiot coach Mike Brown, this is the last guy I wanted coaching the Lakers, I'm burned out on bad coaching at this point.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote