View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #43
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Struggling with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
There is no cure for real clinical depression. I suffered from a severe depression for almost a year. Before experiencing my depression, I was in the same boat as most the posters here. I had no understanding of the disease, and my common response was, "just get up and do something", or, "just man up".

I can tell you that I've always considered myself an intelligent and mentally strong person, but depression turned my into emotionless zombie. I couldn't do basic daily activities, and I had no excuse as to why I couldn't do them, other then I just couldn't. I would walk my dog once a day, which as about my only physical activity, and I would look at kids playing basketball... and tears would come to my eyes. I loved basketball, I wanted to play Basketball... but I couldn't. My body and mind were in a prison, and despite my recognition of the condition, it was impossible to pull out. I can honestly say I reached a point where I understood why people kill themselves. I don't believe I ever actually considered taking my own life, because I understood I was suffering from a disease, but I felt like there was nothing to live for.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that unless you have suffered from real clinical depression, it's impossible to understand the mindset of someone who is depressed. My advice would be to study the disease, and understand what you're dealing with. Try and tell other people, friends and family, that you believe you are dealing with depression. One of the worst parts of the disease is that it becomes shameful, and you want to isolate yourself from loved ones, which only makes the situation worse. Embrace your condition, tell the people who care about you that you are having trouble, and don't be ashamed.

I believe one of the major contributors to my recovery was also returning to school. I had already turned the corner, but returning to school to pursue a career in real estate really seemed to accelerate my recovery.
Good stuff. I read through this thread yesterday and wanted to say something about how it's not as controllable as many like to believe, but I didn't really have a leg to stand on because I had not experienced it firsthand. I mean, I've had downs, but I don't think I've ever been honestly depressed.

Still, I've read a bit about depression (nothing too deep) and the consistent theme I've gathered is that it's not as simple as just getting up and doing something. I think there's a difference between being down (like I've been from time to time) and being honestly depressed. When I'm down about something, I feel really bummed, and it can last for a while, but it's not entirely debilitating. On the flip side, from all I've heard, depression is in fact debilitating. It's not just a matter of feeling too lazy to do something, it's legitimately having no will or ability to do so. As such, when people are honestly depressed, I try to understand it's different and not as readily changeable as just being a little bummed out for a while.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote