View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
LamarOdom
Banned

Default Re: MYTH: Where art thou [Behaviorism]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I think an important part that is often excluded is his last sentence: "I am going beyond my facts and I admit it, but so have the advocates of the contrary and they have been doing it for many thousands of years"

I don't claim to be a behaviorist, but I think there is some truth to what was said, but it is not fully accurate. You can certainly teach people to be certain things, but how good they are at that thing still has to do with genetics. I don't attribute to the "blank slate" theory, but environment does play a huge part in it.

As far as your basketball plan, if you train a kid (or hire a trainer) to be a basketball player at a young age, he will likely be pretty good. But NBA good? Hard to say. You still will have a hard time determining size, natural athleticism, the child's personal motivation (you could make him hate basketball), and durability (you could raise the next Greg Oden, and have him break before the NBA paycheck). Then there are simple matters such as, if he doesn't make it, did you set him up for failure in other aspects of life? Plus any other curve ball.

Yeah that is where the black women comes in:)

No but honestly I really find this interesting, say doctor/lawyer/whatever if I want my child to become that I can while he still little somehow implement that being doctor/lawyer will lead to success etc.

Like the case with Albert one of Watson human experiment, he liked white rats and one day he heard a sound while holding this rat that scared him. This made him scared of white bunnies, white dogs and people with white beard.

And when I read about behaviorism I remembered a friend of my father, whenever he visited i got so fukcin scared I used to hide under beds and tables whenever he visited which wasn't too often (thank god for that). He moved away and to make a short story even shorter I saw him 3-4 years ago but wasn't scared of him anymore. I never knew why I was scared of him as a child but I think behaviorism has the answer.

Anyway if I would want to do such an experiment how would I get these thoughts into a child?
LamarOdom is offline   Reply With Quote