View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default The Hobbit will be shown in 2D, 3D and high-rate-frame 3D

As you may know Peter Jackson shot The Hobbit at a frame rate of 48 frames per second. Traditionally film was shot at 24 FPS and video is under 30 FPS. I'm curious as to how this looks. A lot of folks didn't like the look where they first showed some preview material, but I don't know if it that was using the same setup they are going to be using in theaters. They are not going to show a 2D version at 48 FPS. So you have to see it in 3D if you want to see how the high frame rate version looks. I'm also wondering if they are going to charge three different prices as the 48 FPS version is going to require that the theaters get new projectors. The new projection system uses two projectors and creates 3-D that is much brighter than current 3D.. They say it's 90% as bright as 2D, regular 3D can be as low as 1/3 as bright.

Quote:
PETER JACKSON: I think HFR is terrific. As a filmmaker, I try to make my movies immersive. I want to draw the audience out of their seats, and pull them into the adventure. That is the experience I hope to offer moviegoers no matter which format they choose at the theater. While I personally prefer watching The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR 3D, I can assure you that every format will provide you with an incredible and immersive experience.

HFR 3D is “different” — it won’t feel like the movies you’re used to seeing, in much the same way as the first CDs didn’t sound like vinyl records. We live in an age when cinemas are competing with iPads and home entertainment systems. I think it’s critical that filmmakers employ current technology to increase the immersive, spectacular experience that cinema should provide. It’s an exciting time to be going to the movies.

400 screens in the US will have the 48 FPS version. You can find them here.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote