View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Default Re: The Hobbit will be shown in 2D, 3D and high-rate-frame 3D

Some folks are loving 48 fps and some are hating it.

Loving it
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/pet...buts-in-48fps/
Quote:
The experience I had watching The Hobbit the first time was on of utter fascination: was I seeing a glimpse at the future of cinema? A glorious, grand, epic, fun adventure about a small little Hobbit and thirteen of his Dwarf friends running across the hills and valleys of Middle Earth to reclaim some mountain taken over by a dragon. Was the HFR distraction just a temporary interference or greater hindrance? The one thing I can say:...I've never experienced visuals like this.

Mixed Feelings
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r...b_2233959.html
Quote:
my feelings about the format are very mixed. With all that in mind, I'm just going to go ahead and answer every question I had about the format before seeing it for myself.

Q: How does the 48-FPS format differ from most other films?

A: It has twice as many frames per second. This gives it an incredibly clear picture. Which is part of the problem.

Q: Why would a clearer image be a problem?

A: Because, as it turns out, it's possible for an image to look so clear that it no longer looks real. Or so real that it takes you out of the film. As in: that film set looks like ... a film set. Put it this way: the picture is so clear that in one scene I could see Ian McKellen's contact lenses. I won't claim to be a Tolkien expert, but I am pretty sure Acuvue does not exist in Middle Earth.

Q: Did you enjoy watching The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in 48 FPS?

A: Yes and no, for completely different reasons. I'll admit, it was fascinating to watch a movie in 48 FPS because, honestly, I've never seen anything like it. Ever. So, from a technology standpoint, I enjoyed it quite a bit. But! To the extent that I simply wanted to watch a movie and be immersed in another world, it was distracting.

Q: How was it distracting?
.......Click link for much more

Hating it
Quote:
Some viewers told the Sunday Times that the filming technique made them nauseous and dizzy, with some even complaining of migraines.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote