Thread: Tough loss
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Tough loss

Everyone goes through it. My first anti-clutch moment came my junior year when an opponent was inbounding the ball at half court in a tie ball game with 55 seconds left. The inbounder panicked and lobbed a pass toward the jump ball circle. I anticipated, poked it away, and found myself in the open floor. I thought I had my first dunk coming my way, but then I thought about how terrible it'd be if I missed. In the meantime, I set both feet and took off way too far away from the bucket and botched the layup.

Moments later we regained possession trailing by two. My teammate missed a soft J in the lane and the offensive board fell right into my lap. I was airborne and no one was in my area code to disrupt me. I missed again.

Miraculously, we somehow ended up winning, even in spite of my anticlutch moments. But I learned and in each subsequent game that season, I felt much more at ease and in control during clutch situations. I knew I'd already failed and it wasn't that bad. I was confident enough to know (or believe) I was going to be able to make it happen the next time.

The truth is, people are going to remember your clutch successes way, way more than your clutch defeats. For instance, when I say, "Michael Jordan Clutch" what do a lot of tend to think? His J's over Bryon Russell? His Craig Ehlo shot? The comeback shot vs. Atlanta in '95? But how many memories come to mind when we thinking "Michael Jordan missed buzzer beaters"? It's all relative, but it sort of works like that on every level. It's a bummer when clutch shots don't work out, but the lasting effect pales in comparison to the successes. It's a worthy risk.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 12-07-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote