View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
fpliii
sick of agendas...

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Why didn't Bill Russell win the 1964 MVP?

Good question. I found some sources that might help you out:

http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/9833420/file.html

it appears it was likely a combination of factors (speculation that Russell might quit basketball based on his statements, his social writings/comments, Robertson allegedly having his 'finest year in the league [p]laying a superb all around game). From a quick glance, it looks like the common sentiment is that he was snubbed for All-Star MVP voting (though unlike the season MVP which was voted for by his peers in the other players, I *believe* the All-Star MVP was decided via a straw poll by media back then), partially due possibly to his outspoken nature, and the near-boycott of the game in hopes of getting the player pensions plan pushed through (it seems Russ was seen as a ringleader/instigator).

I could be completely off base though, and it could've just been an issue of voter fatigue on the part of the players.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote