View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: opponent hits ur hand as u're grabbing the board and u lose it out of bounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
i dont call it in pickup because tbh the refs will probably not give you that in a game, dont want to start expecting that if you're in a tough match or something

hand is part of the ball anyways, unless he grabs you it cant be a foul on a rebound as no one has possession and both have equal right to fight for it. Contact sport bro, sometimes you get tough plays like that
I always relinquish possession on plays like that. I understand I could play the "but the only reason I lost it is because you hit my hand" card, but it's just one of those things I opt not to object because I mean, it did go off me, whether my hand was hit or not. At best, sometimes an opponent will voluntarily give possession without a fight, acknowledging he forced the rock out through contact, even if he didn't touch the ball firsthand.

On the flip side, I do not believe the hand is always a part of the ball. And just because there is not an established possession does it mean everything's fair game. In a non-streetball/pickup game, I've most definitely seen fouls called on plays exactly as described. More often though, I see the officials relent from calling a foul and instead award possession to the guy who's hand was hit as a way of saying "Yes, it was off you, but only because of the technically illegal contact of your opponent". Contrary to popular belief, the hand is not declared a part of the ball and thus open to any form of contact at all times during a game.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 12-09-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote