View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Default Re: White people who claim racism

white people have a privilege that manifests itself in a number of ways. OP I understand what you are trying to say. They have the agency to be able to speak and be heard, while "others" do not.

I do not think saying "color blindness" is a good thing at all, tbh I really don't think such a thing can exist. The way we see people is inherently affected by our past experiences and the discursive reproduction of race (the process of racialization, google it if you don't know what it is) We should EMBRACE the differences of other people, not sweep it under the rug.

That being said we have to be aware of our position in relation to what is being said. If you truly cared about a statement a white person makes saying "..... is racist and a denigrates (insert race) people", then why not see if that is true. That is a second hand OPINION, not a sentiment shared from first hand accounts. Yet because of the aforementioned agency I spoke of, this opinion is more quickly legitimized than that of subaltern knowledges. We should seek knowledge not only where it is legitimized, but also where it is produced. In short, I don't think it is bad that a white person would say something like that, but there are things that are problematic about it if it silences other voices that SHOULD be heard.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote