Thread: Nas is GOAT
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #12
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Nas is GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
I was an adamant believer that Nas was no.1.

But over time, I've come to accept that he isn't. Many of us have cemented Nas as the GOAT due to his first 2 albums for the most part. What many Nas fans won't ever admit to is his decline. He's had variable success with some of his album releases after IWW, but his skill clearly diminished.

His influence not as great as Hov's, BIG's, Pac's, KRS', Kane's, G Rap's.

Nas also wanted to be what Pac was, but he never achieved it.

As to who the GOAT is imo? I dunno anymore.

Based on raw skills, the usual don't come to mind for me. Pac, Hov and BIG aren't as good. BIG wasn't around long enough to be honest, Hov has been very sketchy and inconsistent since RD, and Pac wasn't on their level. What Pac was great at and something I learned to appreciate (something that Nas sucked at), was tell a story that was relatable to the average listener. A story that was heartfelt and to the point, a rap version of Lennon.

Technically speaking 'Imagine' is a relatively simple song in structure and lyrics. But the impact the song had is immeasurable. Imo one of the top 5 greatest songs of all time 'My Girl' by the Tempts is another perfect example of something that's simple yet effective and powerful at delivering. Pac was a master at this, something Nas can't touch.

So I dunno anymore.

That's what separates Nas and Pac IMO and gives Esco the edge. Pac was simplistic, which isn't a bad thing but he did get repetitive. You always know he's gonna tell you about 'ridin on enemies... while drinking hennessy' in like 72% of his songs. Nas can weave a story in more imaginative ways. Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Sd2gDkSV8

But he can also tell stories in a more classical, straight forward way that still have impact. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0T75uxpUtQ

Tupac can't touch Nas in terms of anything rap related, storytelling included. Where do you think he got the idea for 'Me and my girlfriend' from? The only reason many consider him greater is the James Dean effect.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote