View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: If the Catholic 7 gets who everyone thinks they will and a couple long shots.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin
Ya, the league just can't become what it aspires to be without Butler, Creighton and possibly VCU down the road. The better the league, the more money that comes in. That's why Gonzaga is being talked about (however serious or lack thereof those talks are). They obviously make tons of sense economically, but I think that would be way too much of a stretch.

Speaking of Gonzaga, does the fact that they aren't a football school mean they will never be considered for the Pac-12 or MWC? I mean they obviously would be welcomed on a pure bball standpoint, but I guess the numbers don't add up? ND is joining the ACC without its football program. I'd love them to join the MWC if the schools there that were gonna leave end up staying now for sure.

I also know other things are taken into consideration such as academic excellence, religious affiliations and such.

Yeah, basically they're looking to put together a conference of the best possible basketball schools in the country that don't play BCS football. And if they're gonna do that, it doesn't make a ton of sense for Gonzaga to be left out.
I also believe it would've made more sense for ND to hang with them. If they refuse to affiliate their football program to a conference, then they're the same as a non-football school. And their history in the Big East, Catholic background, academic standing (although the ACC is a very strong conference academically as well), would make them a better fit as an 8th team in this conference than in the ACC. Frankly it would make more sense for the ACC rather than screwing up their conference not being the same from one sport to another, which is part of how the Big East got into this mess to begin with.

And you're right, the conference has to be really strong in order to maintain a television relationship with ESPN. And I'm not sure they can with or without VCU and the like. But particularly Gonzaga and Butler I think would be the biggest ones.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote