Thread: The Dunk Comp
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The Dunk Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
If the NBA insists upon separating the dunking further and further from the dunk contest itself (in its place - terrible acting, props, mailmen, coaches, microphones, and choirs) then I agree. However, if the contest can be returned to a standard format then I believe it should forever live on. Dunk contests will always have down years regardless but I think it's important to keep it alive for those special, special moments.

For instance, can we imagine NBA history had the league opted not to bring the contest back for 2000? Surely, Carter's year was followed by a lame showing in DC the next season but then came a great run by Jason Richardson and company. Unfortunately, life-altering moments will never happen every year in the dunk contest, but the rarity of those moments is what makes them so special and eliminating the contest altogether would just be counterproductive in my opinion. Eliminate it for the return of 2Ball?
I agree, but is there a chance of the dunk contest going back to what it was? If the ASG can't let go of online voting, I don't think the dunk contest will. Get a panel of real judges and eliminate based on scores. Let the panel REVIEW the dunk before letting them score.

Also, you need some star power in these contests. All the memorable contests had legit stars in them. Unfortunately these star gets scared off by gimmicks and shit. Rudy Gay should be there. Blake Griffin given another chance. Josh Smith. Lebron man up and be part of it.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote