View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Default Re: According to new study, New Zealand is "most free" country in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablabla
north korea is not in the bottom 10?

I suspect it is because the bottom 10 all are more violent than north korea. I also suspect the rights of women are probably greater than in some of those countries. Here's what they considered.
http://www.fraserinstitute.org/resea....aspx?id=19171

Quote:
The index is contained in a new book, Towards a Worldwide Index of Human Freedom, which examines the characteristics of “freedom” and how it can best be measured and compared between different nations.

“Our intention is to measure the degree to which people are free to enjoy classic civil liberties—freedom of speech, religion, individual economic choice, and association and assembly—in each country surveyed. We also look at indicators of crime and violence, freedom of movement, legal discrimination against homosexuals, and women’s freedoms,” said Fred McMahon, Dr. Michael A. Walker Research Chair in Economic Freedom (Fraser Institute) and editor of Towards a Worldwide Index of Human Freedom.

Also if I was to believe the Tea Party, I thought healthcare reform was going to turn us into a totalitarian society. I think all the countries ahead of the US on that list have government-backed healthcare of one form or another.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote