View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
Ne 1
College superstar

Ne 1 is a pretty well-respected posterNe 1 is a pretty well-respected posterNe 1 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Put Michael Jordan at small forward on the Lakers. They win the championship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LiftHeatCurse
Jordan's FG% = 50%

Kobe's FG% = 45%

Technically what you said is correct, but you have to put things into perspective/proper context. It should definitely be noted that in the 1980s and 1990s everyone shot a higher FG%

Since Chris Mullin in the early 90s, LeBron was the first perimeter player to average 25+ ppg on 50+%

Reggie Miller who was a jump shoter 98% of the time had 4 seasons shooting 50 FG%.

Drazen Petrovic had 2 seasons.

Jeff Hornacek had 5 seasons.

Even Ricky Pierce had 6 seasons shooting over 50 FG% from the field in the 80's/90s.

Those type of seasons in the mid 80s to early 90s happened all the time. List of other guys who accomplished that feat: Kiki Vandeweghe, Dantley, Mark Aguirre, Dale Ellis, Clyde Drexler, Chris Mullin, Alex English, Bernard King, Jordan, Bird, Gervin, Worthy, Stockton, Johnson, Dr. J, Thompson, Kelly Tripucka and a couple of others came close and I'm sure I am forgetting some names too (stopped happening around mid-late 90s when help defense improved, overall commitment to defense by teams was greater and also perimeter talent was crap) Now if you compare that to the last 15 years, it has been a rarity for a high scoring perimeter player to shoot 50+%. This isn't meant to belittle Jordan or any of the other players I named at all, but it was a different era and the fact of that matter is that the 80s/early 90s was a more wide open game with a lot less defense.

Purvis Short was putting up 26 ppg on near 50%, and I'm to think Kobe is going to have problems shooting a higher percentage than his usual 45-47% average in that era? Especially with him getting a million semi-transition looks all game long, with horrible help defense (which didn't improve until the Pistons showed how), amongst several other factors.

My second all-time favorite player (Magic) comes from that era, and I've had to stop watching games from back then because the defense was that bad. Like no one ever going 10 feet within guys shooting just because they wanted to get the ball ASAP to start a break. I will gladly upload random regular season games from late 80s and let you see for yourselves.
Ne 1 is online now   Reply With Quote