View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #352
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Life
From Publishers Weekly

So you are recommending a series that is 10 books in length. Is seen as having weak characters. Has 7-9 books over 1000 - 1200 pages. Yet saying that The Ice and Fire series will be too long and that its far reaching in its attempt to tell a story? Seems like your just frustrated with not having all the books available as opposed to really caring about length or wide story spanning.

I just said Malazan as I'm currently reading some of the novels Ian Cameron Esslemont wrote. (he created the Malazan world with Steven Erikson) I've already read the original 10.

I read ASoIaF all at once as far as the first four novels. I enjoyed it a lot but I can't say I have much interest in a series where a novel comes out every 5 years and having read a lot of fantasy the series gets immensely overrated. There are better series out there like: Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (which Martin has admitted was a big influence on him), Robin Hobb's Farseer and Liveship Traders trilogies, Patrick Rothfuss KingKiller Chronicles and Brandon Sanderson has a lot of potential.
Smoke117 is online now   Reply With Quote