View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #352
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Smoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation hereSmoke117 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Life
From Publishers Weekly

So you are recommending a series that is 10 books in length. Is seen as having weak characters. Has 7-9 books over 1000 - 1200 pages. Yet saying that The Ice and Fire series will be too long and that its far reaching in its attempt to tell a story? Seems like your just frustrated with not having all the books available as opposed to really caring about length or wide story spanning.

I just said Malazan as I'm currently reading some of the novels Ian Cameron Esslemont wrote. (he created the Malazan world with Steven Erikson) I've already read the original 10.

I read ASoIaF all at once as far as the first four novels. I enjoyed it a lot but I can't say I have much interest in a series where a novel comes out every 5 years and having read a lot of fantasy the series gets immensely overrated. There are better series out there like: Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (which Martin has admitted was a big influence on him), Robin Hobb's Farseer and Liveship Traders trilogies, Patrick Rothfuss KingKiller Chronicles and Brandon Sanderson has a lot of potential.
Smoke117 is online now   Reply With Quote