View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Browns fans I offer you a solution to your QB woes: Alex Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
They are in no rush whatsoever.

They would be paying the backup 7.5 mil. But would get an entire year to trade him before dealing with Colin who CAN'T NEGOTIATE until the end of next season. So really the QB's together would be making about 8 mil. If I'm GM I have no issue with that. Add Willis' contract getting much lighter on the books and that cap danger they are in now is lightened even with Alex on the squad.

They reason they cannot and will not let him go has less to do with his value on market and more to do with ensuring he doesn't end up in Arizona. They would like to dictate where he goes and if it also includes a 2-5 rounder then it's just icing. Even if no one bites right away you have the best QB situation in the league until someone does.

I can understand having a reliable backup with Kaepernick at QB but at nearly $8mil that's wasted money. You don't keep a backup QB with that money due to the fact that the starter is still on his rookie contract. You can sign a veteran backup for 1/4 the price to hold the clipboard.

That's 7.5mil that can be wasted elsewhere on the team and help the team improve. Not to mention there's going to be a few 49er players looking for new deals once their rookie/old contracts are expiring. If you keep Smith you run the risk of losing a guy like Goldson or Crabtree who'll probably want top 5 WR money..

It's highly unlikely the Niners keep him based on that fact. They might get a pick(probably a late pick) but teams aren't going to waste anything for a guy that will be available a month later.

Hopefully the niners treat Smith with the same respect he's treated them and just cut the poor guy. He's been through hell and back for the franchise only to get his face smashed in the curb..
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote