Thread: MMA Primer?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: MMA Primer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
I'd like to get into watching the sport. Where should I start? Who are the big stars today (or in its history)?

Can someone give me a breakdown of the different fighting styles, and some examples of guys today (and in the sport's history) that best represent them?

I would really recommend you starting with UFC 1 (with a hint of Pride FC) and watch your way all the way up to current upcoming UFC 156, its very much worth it... UFC back then had almost no rules, fought without gloves, had no sponsors or fight clubs or anything like that, no weightclass, it was a 100% pure 1on1 crazy cage fight you would see ONLY in a Van Damme movie or in a bar or something.... the fighters were very one dimensional, the sport was not a sport yet.... a skinny karate expert fighting a 500 lbs sumo wrestler and so on... it was crazy, but you will find it very entertaining, infact maybe more entertaining than MMA today... :)

While moving forwards you will see/learn about the evolution of MMA in every detail and which fighters revolutionized it with certain martial arts and why those martial arts are the most important fighting techniques today (in MMA or in your random bar fight)... how it all became to be today and how these best fighters became to be what they are today by combining those best arts...

Quote:
What are the big events? What's coming up soon that I should watch?

Keep yourself updated by going to www.mmajunkie.com you will see all the upcoming events and/or past events/results....

The most important thing to follow is UFC... its the NBA of MMA...

Next upcoming very big UFC event is UFC 156 on FX / Pay-per-view @ 7:00 PM, EST

If you cant catch it on TV you can watch MMA/UFC live on for example firstrowsports site or wait until the next day and dl the events like me, i use www.xtremewrestlingtorrents.net for that, infact you can dl ALL the UFC events that ever happened there, i can send you (or anybody else) an invite if you have trouble registering.

Last edited by pauk : 02-02-2013 at 05:09 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote