Thread: MMA Primer?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
fpliii
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: MMA Primer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
I would really recommend you starting with UFC 1 (with a hint of Pride FC) and watch your way all the way up to current upcoming UFC 156, its very much worth it... UFC back then had almost no rules, fought without gloves, had no sponsors or fight clubs or anything like that, no weightclass, it was a 100% pure 1on1 crazy cage fight you would see ONLY in a Van Damme movie or in a bar or something.... the fighters were very one dimensional, the sport was not a sport yet.... a skinny karate expert fighting a 500 lbs sumo wrestler and so on... it was crazy, but you will find it very entertaining, infact maybe more entertaining than MMA today... :)

While moving forwards you will see/learn about the evolution of MMA in every detail and which fighters revolutionized it with certain martial arts and why those martial arts are the most important fighting techniques today (in MMA or in your random bar fight)... how it all became to be today and how these best fighters became to be what they are today by combining those best arts...

Keep yourself updated by going to www.mmajunkie.com you will see all the upcoming events and/or past events/results....

The most important thing to follow is UFC... its the NBA of MMA...

Next upcoming very big UFC event is UFC 156 on FX / Pay-per-view @ 7:00 PM, EST

If you cant catch it on TV you can watch MMA/UFC live on for example firstrowsports site or wait until the next day and dl the events like me, i use www.xtremewrestlingtorrents.net for that, infact you can dl ALL the UFC events that ever happened there, i can send you (or anybody else) an invite if you have trouble registering.

All 155 previous UFCs? Damn...should I check out the main events, or everything on the card?

I'm going to head to the bar with my roommates in a few minutes for tonight's fight, hopefully I'll pick up on some stuff. Thanks for the torrent link (firstrowsports and to a lesser extent oleloletv are great for streams), I'll PM you if I need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
after doing all that he'll pretty much be a lock to replace mike goldberg.

what's it feel like to be nearly famous already, fpliii?

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Joe Rogan is much more knowledgable. :P

Anyways, Fpliii it wont take much of your time, you can watch the highlights at least.... i just think you would appreciate and understand MMA today much better if you could of witnessed the evolution yourself, one of the most important figures in that evolution aspect was Royce Gracie who was the first guy to present BJJ to the UFC... watching early UFCs you will see how devastating BJJ was upon ANY martial arts/artists that didnt know BJJ (and basically nobody knew it back then except him).... it was just hilarious, watch a one dimensional fighter constantly prevail against 500 lbs Monsters or Wrestlers or Boxing, Kung Fu, Muay Thai, Karate, TKD etc. experts... simply because he knew BJJ and they didnt...

Thanks again for the suggestion...the bolded sounds like some Street Fighter shit lol nice.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote