View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #75
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Ketchup vs Mustard 2/9/2013 Cavaliers @ Nuggets OGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
What's your feelings about what will probably be the team's core going forward? I don't see how you can't think Thompson won't be a very good starting PF. Maybe a player with 12-15 PPG 8-10 RPG prime potential. I'm not sure Waiters is someone who will develop into "second best player on championship contender" status, but it's not out of the question; and besides, if he reaches his full potential, you could do a lot worse for a third best player on a playoff team, especially when that team's best player is someone as good as Kyrie. I mean that's three pretty damn good pieces to build around in my opinion.

I'm a UNC fan, but I'm not going to pretend Zeller will become a solid starting center, although I don't think you can just write that possibility off because of a bad two or three week stretch 40+ games into his rookie year. Especially when he's been thrust into a starting role he's clearly not ready for and at a time when a lot of rookies hit the rookie wall. At the very least, I think you've got the beginning of what could be a very good second unit in Speights, Ellington, and Zeller if you keep all of them.

I don't know, I just think Cleveland has some very good pieces in place, and are on the right track of at least building a good playoff caliber team.
I've been saying it all year... I think the Cavs are in a tremendous position to build back into a contender WAY faster than anyone ever imagined (myself included).

The hard part is already done. Finding your franchise player can take decades for some franchises. We've been lucky enough to have two in the span of eight years.

The second phase is also nearing its completion... Surround that superstar, franchise guy with a core of young talent. I am very excited about the way Tristan has grown since Andy went down and Waiters has all of the talent in the world. Considering both guys are barely passed 20, I think they can grow into key pieces on a good team.

Zeller is probably more of a good bench guy/role player. I have confidence that he can build into that. I'm not all that discouraged with his recent bad play. For the first 20 games, he was doing well. It was just a case of him being thrust into a starting center role with tons of minutes before he was ready.

I feel like this coming draft will probably be the last time we have a high lottery pick. So, there will probably be one more young guy who is added to this core through the draft.

I think, next year, Grant and Gilbert will begin using all of that cap space to fill out the roster with solid players... Maybe even a big signing or trade that no one sees coming.

So...

Phase 1 - Find your franchise guy (done)
Phase 2 - Build around him through the draft (almost done)
Phase 3 - Use cap space and/or draft picks to add talent
Phase 4 - Add veterans to complete the roster

I'd say this team is currently in-between phases 2 and 3. And, I couldn't be happier with the way things are going since 2010.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote