View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #16
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: How old do you think you can carry on playing basketball til?

I was a biggish PG in my day. About 6', and in HS I played at 190ish. In college it jumped to about 210.

I played actively, like 2-5 times a week depending on the time of year, right up to 31. I definitely got slower, but I always a good post game, and mid post footwork, which can make up for a lot of that, but my ability to get off the ground just plummetted. I was able to occasionally dunk from my junior year in high school, through college, but after that couldn't quite get it anymore. I was more occasionally able to hang from the rim. By 26 or so I'd become a much better shooter than I had been in my youth. I'd been playing almost constantly for 20 years at that point, and the extra strength I'd developed gave me way more range. Combined with my ability to run a break, I was still among the better players on most courts I played on until about 30. And people loved playing with me because I'm a really good passer.
Then at 32 I ripped up my knee. Got it fixed, continued playing, started developing arthritis in the other knee, and now am on the verge of tearing my achilles. I've gotten as big 245 over the years, but generally hover aroung 225, 230, so I know I carry more weight than I should, but I was never exactly small framed.

Now I don't play much. When I do it's more horsing around, and I don't really like it. But you can still see the skill set flash at times. I'll use some rediculous step to get by someone I have no business getting by. And I'll definitely jam someone's finger with a pass when they weren't even aware they were open at least once and usually more than that. And once the rust wears off I can get on a streak with jumpers. And since I have a penchant for shooting bank threes, they have a certain pinache to them.

But finishing around the rim has been turned into a crap shoot of gimmicky releases and english off the backboard, which again, can show a certain skill level of days past, but they just don't go in near enough for my taste. And I used to be a plus defender, but those days are long gone.

It's actually quite depressing for me to go to a basketball court.

I will say this, size tends to play longer, so if you're 6-5+, you can really hang on for a long time if you can just keep getting yourself up and down the court.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote