View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Taking charges in pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Yeah, stuff like charges are just a little too intense for some regular dudes playing a pick-up game. Pick-up is to have fun and compete, not to take charges and slap the floor like some schmuck from Duke.

Some people just get weirdly intense with stuff like that tho. I've had dudes pick me up full court an entire game when I'm playing point lol.
I'm A-OK with people playing as hard as they can. I've guarded people full court in pickup games before, usually when I sense they're not someone who's going to like dealing with that pressure, leading them to give up the ball early. Sometimes it's easier to pick up full and force an early pass than allowing a player to saunter downcourt and have an open opportunity to make something happen in the half court. Sometimes dangerous half court ball players still don't like having to work their way out of the backcourt.

Back to the point though, I just think there's a difference between playing hard and playing dangerous and oftentimes, attempting to take charges (especially outdoors) can be very dangerous for the offensive and defensive player.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote