View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #27
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Taking charges in pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Never met or even saw the person before. I was 22 he was probably a year or two older. He kept talking about how he 'he was the last guy cut from the college team'.

I really only go to shoot around and work on moves by myself, basically meditate/shut my brain off. I was the only person there and he started shooting on my hoop, then asked to play like 3 times. It put me in a weird spot.

I don't go hard because I don't see the point. I'm not making a career out of ball, I end up getting hurt often because of past knee/ankle injuries, there's no ref, who knows how the person will take losing, etc. I play just hard enough to look like I'm trying... Basically I just keep the score competitive.
Makes sense. It always seems to be the weird, give-too-much-information guys who tend to challenge strangers to games of one-on-one. I don't mean that sarcastically either. Through the years I've discovered there's honestly a lot more people out there like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushxx
Since most players in pick-up are much worse, I also give half effort to avoid small injuries. If they are close to winning I turn it on and make it clear to them they have no chance when I do.

It's pretty easy to score at will if they don't know how to defend the dribble.
Fair enough. I suppose we all have our reasons. I personally try to go hard whenever possible and when I don't, my day of basketball often feels incomplete or like a failure. My thing has always been to go hard, even against people I was better than (unless they were playing at a 5th grade level) so I can still get something worthwhile out of it.

It also seems to step things up a notch across the board, making the other people who were only giving half effort actually go a bit harder. I've noticed effort is contagious. It's like how I used to slow down my fast break to allow non-effort-giving teammates to saunter up the floor back in high school. Then one day it dawned to me that I should be making them keep up with me. Not the other way around. That's kind of how it tends to work with effort.

I truly see where you're coming from though. It's just, I realized a long time ago that if I only played hard when I decided the competition was absolutely perfect, I'd have spent 95% of my post-organized league days playing at 50%, and that seemed like a lose-lose for everybody. Instead, I decided to almost always push myself so when I was the best player on the floor, people would be able to see why (and try harder and improve from playing against me) and then when I wasn't the best player on the court, I'd still be conditioned and used to competing and pushing myself at a high level. My game is pretty habitual, for I have never really had the luxury of playing 50% when I wanted then adequately kicking it up to 100% when the time called. If I want to play well, I have to make a habit of playing hard.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 02-28-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote