Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   True Centre?? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1111)

Unregistered 06-11-2006 01:07 PM

True Centre??

So many people are posting that we need a 'true centre'. So much that some fans want Magloire and his approaching unreasonable contract demands, or even JO and his $80 M contract and annual injuries. I ask, why do we want a 'true centre' at all? Who are the true C's in the league? Shaq and Yao? The rest 'true centres' are mostly stiffs....Foster, Diop, Dampier, Brezac, Collins etc. All are considered 'true C's' but mostly take up space and can play a little D. My question is, in this era of hoops, why not abandon the true C and play your ebst 5 players, a la Phoenix? Amare isn't a true C, neither is Dwight etc but this is where the league is going. I never understood why Bosh didn't play C instead of stiffs like Hoffa and Woods. Are Hoffa and Woods because of their labeled position helping the team? Not at all! Screw the stiff Centre, Pryz falls into that Category also, and draft new era bigs, like Bosh, Aldridge, Cvill, Dwight, Amare etc.

T-Low 06-11-2006 01:11 PM

Whenever I say "true center", I mean somebody that knows how to play the position and do it well. I don't mean someone that is officially labelled "center" coming into the league. If you have a center that knows how to play the position and isn't just a fluke, that is a "true center" in my eyes.

DeepStich 06-12-2006 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Low
Whenever I say "true center", I mean somebody that knows how to play the position and do it well. I don't mean someone that is officially labelled "center" coming into the league. If you have a center that knows how to play the position and isn't just a fluke, that is a "true center" in my eyes.

Like Ben Wallace? Who you normally wouldn't put at #5 cause of his height, but he's so strong, knows how to make space in the paint, is such a good shot blocker and plays such stong D that he can play that position...

I wouldn'y say either Haffa or Woods are good centres. Haffa's too mentally weak (he has a stong body, but doesn't use it right) and Woods is too damn skinny. The reason the Raps need a good centre is to relieve Bosh from playing the 5. He's not a true centre, but they always play him in that position. A strong centre is needed for when they play teams with good centres (like Miami). You can run a transition game all you want, but when the other team comes back and plays some 5-on-5 ball, you're screwed...

A Roc 23 06-12-2006 02:30 AM

Why are you even talking about Hoffa.

This isn't the Utah Jazz forum. :stupid:

Chamberlain 06-12-2006 02:53 AM

They don't even need a "true" center. Just a tough guy who can bang in the post and take the beating from guys like Shaq instead of Bosh taking it.

Bourne 06-12-2006 08:57 AM

A center who rebounds and plays "proper" defense is a true center. Offense is gravy.

T-Low 06-12-2006 10:47 AM

Ben Wallace is definitely coming to Toronto hahaha.Just kidding. But I heard Colangelo has had talks with BW's agent (think his name is Steve Kaufmann). But so have around 10 other teams. Toronto has the cap, so why not try.