Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anyone here into GIS? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124141)

DinoRadja40 03-11-2009 05:37 AM

Anyone here into GIS?

Anyone here into Geography Info. Systems? I am currently a senior at Indiana University majoring in GIS. We use ArcGIS and other ESRI tools. Not a huge field or hobby so just seein if any of you fools know anything about it.

Brunch@Five 03-11-2009 05:58 AM

Re: Anyone here into GIS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DinoRadja40
Anyone here into Geography Info. Systems? I am currently a senior at Indiana University majoring in GIS. We use ArcGIS and other ESRI tools. Not a huge field or hobby so just seein if any of you fools know anything about it.

I'm studying Geography and had some introduction courses for GIS where we worked with ArcGIS. I thought about specializing on it but I'm not quite sure yet. I'm a freshman studying in Germany.

kwajo 03-11-2009 06:00 AM

I currently work as an environmental geographer, and while I don't hold any certification in GIS I do use it in my work every day and have for like 6 or 7 years. I took some courses in it for my Masters, but they didn't teach me much I hadn't already gotten from on-the-job experience. Love the technology, there so much power in the ability to display information spatially, everything from statistics to photographs can be represented on a map or dissected geographically, it's an amazing tool.

I used arcGIS for a while, but I got fed-up with the proprietary nature of it, so I've been transitioning my whole office's workflows to open source alternatives to allow for better information sharing. If there is one thing I hate about GIS it is the plethora of data formats that don't often convert cleanly.

DinoRadja40 03-11-2009 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwajo
If there is one thing I hate about GIS it is the plethora of data formats that don't often convert cleanly.

I here you man, I have never seen some many file formats to convey the same data. They should generalize the whole thing or atleast create a universal file system and make everyone convert their data.

I love GIS and cant wait to get out of school and get out of the insurance field (currently working as a medicare claims adjuster for Humana). I also was a topographical analyst in the Army so that is where i found my passion.

ElPigto 03-11-2009 06:58 AM

I used ArcGIS in the summer when gathering storm systems data around the city of Austin. Is a nice nifty tool to use.

DeuceWallaces 03-11-2009 07:32 AM

I have about 24 credits in GIS and an undergrad degree in Geography. I used to be a GIS Tech in the Geology department, but I've moved away from it professionally as of late. Still have it on my home PC and use it for random projects; usually just site layout maps.

Data conversion and projection conversion suck, but it's still light years beyond what it was 9 years ago with ArcView 3.x.