Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cigarette/sin taxes (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124270)

InspiredLebowski 03-12-2009 07:37 AM

Cigarette/sin taxes

For the record, I smoke around a pack a day. I drink plentifully. I do not have qualms with sin taxes. When there are healthier/cheaper alternatives, the pocketbook is one of, if not the, most obvious way to achieve a healthier lifestyle.

Indiana is potentially increasing the cigg tax by 62 cents. Fine, if you really want people to quit dying early and are willing to put any new taxes towards already outstanding debt. The problem I have with it is that here locally, these taxes are being used to fund healthcare and other programs while being pushed through with the alleged purpose of getting people to quit smoking. So, should this reasoning prove, well, reasonable, and people really do stop where does the funding continue to come from if not other new taxes? It's this type of short term governing that only looks towards the next election that disgusts me.

Fuhqueue 03-12-2009 09:18 AM

Re: Cigarette/sin taxes

Studies show demand for cigarettes is generally inelastic, tax revenues increase as a response to higher duties, even with a corresponding reduction in quantity demanded. Or, to illustrate diagramatically:

So as you can see, it's plain as day

HisAirness 03-12-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuhqueue
Studies show demand for cigarettes is generally inelastic, tax revenues increase as a response to higher duties, even with a corresponding reduction in quantity demanded. Or, to illustrate diagramatically:

LOL

Legend of Josh 03-12-2009 10:16 AM

The government should implement a tax for homosexual conducts. If you're publically gay, and you get married to someone of the same sex maybe you should have to pay more in taxes annually. That way, everyone wins. The gays can exhange vows and the goverment can build new highways.

DoubleTech 03-12-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
For the record, I smoke around a pack a day. I drink plentifully. I do not have qualms with sin taxes. When there are healthier/cheaper alternatives, the pocketbook is one of, if not the, most obvious way to achieve a healthier lifestyle.

Indiana is potentially increasing the cigg tax by 62 cents. Fine, if you really want people to quit dying early and are willing to put any new taxes towards already outstanding debt. The problem I have with it is that here locally, these taxes are being used to fund healthcare and other programs while being pushed through with the alleged purpose of getting people to quit smoking. So, should this reasoning prove, well, reasonable, and people really do stop where does the funding continue to come from if not other new taxes? It's this type of short term governing that only looks towards the next election that disgusts me.

people won't stop smoking though... i mean, if you're at a pack a day, can you see yourself ever stopping? doubt it.

in canada cigs are pretty heavily taxed. i think its close to $10 a pack these days and it wasn't so long ago it was only like $6 i think (i have never smoked so i'm not 100% sure) but we do it mainly to fund our health care. most of these cig smokers end up in hospitals later in life and suck up a huge amount of free healthcare so it all works out.

probably would have legalized and heavily taxed weed by now if the US wasn't so dead-set against it.

Legend of Josh 03-12-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleTech
people won't stop smoking though... i mean, if you're at a pack a day, can you see yourself ever stopping? doubt it.

in canada cigs are pretty heavily taxed. i think its close to $10 a pack these days and it wasn't so long ago it was only like $6 i think (i have never smoked so i'm not 100% sure) but we do it mainly to fund our health care. most of these cig smokers end up in hospitals later in life and suck up a huge amount of free healthcare so it all works out.

probably would have legalized and heavily taxed weed by now if the US wasn't so dead-set against it.

So why can't Canada make up their own laws without US influence?

:confusedshrug:

Oh I see, you're our little bit*h.

JK people...

boozehound 03-12-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

meh, I was a 2 pack a day smoker of pall mall unfiltereds and I quit.

Itd be interesting to see what canada would do with dope if the US didnt so heavily tie their foreign aid and international diplomacy to the war on drugs.

vincentvangogh 03-12-2009 11:13 AM

Dearest Theo:

Oh what awful news: The taxes on tobacco may be increasing! I wonder, will they also tax me further for absynthe?

And with paints already so expensive...

Such woe! I feel so famished, yet it was only two days ago that I last ate and emptied my bowel. Write back soon, dear brother, for my countenance grows dim without words from your pen to lift my spirits!

Also, if you could spare a few guilder I would be much obliged.

HAzE024 03-12-2009 11:49 AM

don't ***** - we're at $11 and rising here in NY.

DoubleTech 03-12-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boozehound
meh, I was a 2 pack a day smoker of pall mall unfiltereds and I quit.

Itd be interesting to see what canada would do with dope if the US didnt so heavily tie their foreign aid and international diplomacy to the war on drugs.

why did you quit?

Legend of Josh 03-12-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

why did you quit?

Yeah... that's weird why would someone quit smoking cancer sticks?

:rolleyes:

TheGreatDeraj 03-12-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

:roll: funny shit man

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAzE024
don't ***** - we're at $11 and rising here in NY.

Holy shit. That is a lot more expensive than I realized...it's only about $4 here in Georgia. I don't smoke, but a lot of my friends do. That's ridiculous I would just roll my own cigs.

The Magic Man 03-12-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

:roll: I think I just peed a little bit.