Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   For the Brits and Euros: What is a Chav? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127998)

Hawker 04-12-2009 08:42 PM

For the Brits and Euros: What is a Chav?

So I was introduced to another british word over spring break from my cousins and it was a "chav." I had no idea what a chav was and they told me it was a troublemaker who wears hats with hoodies and sport coats.

So...are they just another form of wiggers?

Something tells me loot is a chav.

Quizno 04-12-2009 08:46 PM

Re: For the Brits and Euros: What is a Chav?

a wannabe who watches too many American gangster movies and tries to emulate what he sees

ukplayer4 04-12-2009 08:51 PM

its filthy scum bags that hang out on corners- outside shops, in packs of like 20-30 and start trouble/fights with whoever they can and generally hurl abuse at anyone by themselves. our streets are littered with them, although there are many more the further north you go.... they usually wear cheap sports clothes. ****, they have many distinguishable features..... is this enough info?

basically every country have their own words to describe these people.

vapid 04-12-2009 08:52 PM

Is a rudeboy an asian chav?

gts 04-12-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quizno
a wannabe who watches too many American gangster movies and tries to emulate what he sees

aha.. in the US we call those guys "rappers"

just kidding rap fans,,, back down

thatoneblackguy 04-12-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vapid

:wtf:

ukplayer4 04-12-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vapid

not exclusively asian. it applies to any idiot who tries to act like a gangsta, or just really tough. the Asians in our country tend to be either 1. oriental= more restrained when it comes to gang/yob culture and with more dignity. 2. indian/pakistan/wherever= all front and very influenced by black american culture but are less violent than the white/black scum bags(they also speak increadibly fast so that they constantly have to repeat things to each other)

vapid 04-12-2009 09:09 PM

Yea I've lived in London during the school year the last 3 years. When I said asian I was referring to South Asian. My friend said it was just south asians, but I guess he was wrong. :confusedshrug:

pete's montreux 04-12-2009 09:12 PM

When you get a busy signal, do you say "engaged"? For example, instead of saying, "I just called Mike, I got a busy signal", do you say, "I called Mike and he was engaged"?

I saw it in a movie, interests me.

Dasher 04-12-2009 09:12 PM

I thought rudeboys were like shottas which are a Jamaican gangsters, or fans of reggae.

ukplayer4 04-12-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete's montreux
When you get a busy signal, do you say "engaged"? For example, instead of saying, "I just called Mike, I got a busy signal", do you say, "I called Mike and he was engaged"?

I saw it in a movie, interests me.

yeah, that's true we do say that, it does after all mean exactly the same thing.

its kinda outdated now thoe because all land lines generally go through to voice mail when engaged/busy.

ukplayer4 04-12-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasher
I thought rudeboys were like shottas which are a Jamaican gangsters, or fans of reggae.

'yardies' is the term we use for Jamaican gangstas.

pete's montreux 04-12-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukplayer4
yeah, that's true we do say that, it does after all mean exactly the same thing.

its kinda outdated now thoe because all land lines generally go through to voice mail when engaged/busy.

Thanks, bet you can't guess which film I was referring to. It's a zombie comedy.

ukplayer4 04-12-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Thanks, bet you can't guess which film I was referring to. It's a zombie comedy.

lol, zombie comedy you say?

couldnt possibly be shaun of the dead?

pete's montreux 04-12-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukplayer4
lol, zombie comedy you say?

couldnt possibly be shaun of the dead?

Yeah, the scene where he tries to call his ex girlfriend, and he says, "Oh damn, she's engaged."