Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Atlanta Hawks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Future of the Hawks (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131448)

idizzle 05-11-2009 10:51 PM

Future of the Hawks
 
We had a good season but now its going to be crunch time this off season.

The Hawks have to decide whether to re-sign Mike Bibby, Marvin Williams, Zaza, Mario West, Soloman Jones, Thomas Gardner, and Flip Murray.

Seccond, the TNT crew brought up this point, who is the face of the franchise Joe Johnson or Josh Smith?

It seems like Joe gets to where he is missing and doesn't put the team on his back. Josh Smith has times where he is immature but he is growing.

The team has players that really play the same position and are just jumpshooters. The only slasher we have is Flip Murray.

We still need a true center. Hopefully the Hawks can get Chris Kaman from the Clips.

I think if the Haws re-sign Marvin Williams that the Hawks should trade Josh Smith because they play the same position but Marvin is a better shooter.

If the Marvin doesn't re-sign with the Hawks, the Hawks should do a sign and trade to get some value back and that way Josh Smith can slide back at his true spot at SF and put Al Horford at PF.

Man, its just some much the Hawks got to decide on.

Also, Joe Johnson is a free agent next year and the Cavs and Knicks have some interest in him.

So should the Hawks rebuild around Josh or Joe?

Just so many questions.

What do y'all think?

franchise#3 05-12-2009 02:48 AM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
Yeah it's gonna be a hard off season for the hawks. I hope that management doesn't fu"k up Hawks because the roster has some talented players. My opinion is that JJ is still the face of the Hawks, Smith isn't quite ready yet and I don't think he ever will. Another point Hawks could improve on is their coach. I like Woodson but he lacks offensive plays and in this years playoffs hawks scored over 100 points only one time. Avery Johnson could be a good option.

gasolina 05-12-2009 02:55 PM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
I'm not sold with giving Smith the 3, as he really can't handle the ball and he can't shoot. At the 4, as the PO's has shown, he'll be very good offensively but get owned at rebounds and on defense.

Some people have suggested Raymond Felton. It seems the Bobcats are rolling with DJ Augustin now and the Hawks can really use another creator other than JJ.

Bibby should just stick around as primary backup PG. He seems to like it there in ATL

JerzeyBlaze 05-13-2009 11:37 AM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
Hawks played like a bunch of cowards...they need something in the offseason

idizzle 05-16-2009 10:28 PM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
I think the Hawks should go after TJ Ford from the Pacers. He is a good floor leader and the Pacers seem to like Jarret Jacket as the starting PG and are looking to re-sign him.

idizzle 05-17-2009 02:45 PM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
I was reading the sports page this morning and I was reading this article and it looks like Marvin Williams, Acie Law, and Speedy Claxton could be the odd men out.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...ticket/?page=2

idizzle 06-26-2009 05:41 PM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
I'm very excited to see J-Craw with the Hawks. I remember when he was drafted by the Bulls. I think if the Hawks don't re-sign Mike Bibby and Flip Murray that he can be the X-Factor the Hawks needs to advance further in the playoffs. Even If the Hawks re-sign Mike Bibby, he could be a spark off the bench. This guy can get buckets and he has a crazy handle. The doubters are talking about he mess up the Hawks but this dude has never played in the playoffs and he is excited to be part of the team and plus his son lives in Atlanta so this is a win-win for both sides.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/26/j...about-atlanta/


PG-Crawford
SG-Johnson
SF-Williams (if he re-signs)
PF-Smith
C-Horford

triangleoffense 06-29-2009 01:03 PM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
I live in atlanta and I don't consider neither Joe or Josh to be franchise players.

come on.. Joe Johnson? He was fourth fiddle in Phoenix behind Nash, Amare and Marion. Yea the Suns are stupid for letting him go but Atlanta's front office has never been willing to go after the big free agents and hand out big time cash.

Thats' the difference between championship caliber clubs.. gotta pay the rent.

I think we all know that the hawks aren't going anywhere anytime soon... unless Lebron James just happens to want to play for next to nothing in a backwards city.

Pain of Thought 07-06-2009 02:55 PM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
The Hawks have a lot going for them. Their franchise turnaround was long overdue. Joe Johnson was a big part of their success. However, I will say IMO he's an overrated player (especially by his contract standards). Josh Smith is an athletic freak, but unless he can really mature his game he'll be limited in just how good he can really be in this league.

It'll be difficult, but I think you bring back Bibby. He's a vital piece to their short-term on-going success. You make the playoffs two seasons in a row, you do whatever you can to keep that going, especially considering they took the championship Celtics to 7 games two years ago, and finished a top seed in the East this year.

Bottom-line, don't fu_k up what you have going for you.

Pain of Thought 07-06-2009 03:01 PM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
Quote:

I think we all know that the hawks aren't going anywhere anytime soon... unless Lebron James just happens to want to play for next to nothing in a backwards city.

Considering the primary stake in the team is corporate owned, you'd expect the payroll management of the team to be "backwards" - but in a free market it sometimes comes with the territory. Hey, it could be worse, Donald Sterling could be your owner.

:lol

triangleoffense 07-09-2009 08:21 AM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
Quote:

Considering the primary stake in the team is corporate owned, you'd expect the payroll management of the team to be "backwards" - but in a free market it sometimes comes with the territory. Hey, it could be worse, Donald Sterling could be your owner.

Yea thats messed up but I wasn't referring to the team. I was referring to the south in general. I don't see why anyone would intentionally move from the west coast to the south. I mean bibby is a quality PG... one of the top5 or at least top10 in the league. For the amount that he settled for you think there would be more suitors lining up for him.

triangleoffense 07-09-2009 08:23 AM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
Quote:

The Hawks have a lot going for them. Their franchise turnaround was long overdue. Joe Johnson was a big part of their success. However, I will say IMO he's an overrated player (especially by his contract standards). Josh Smith is an athletic freak, but unless he can really mature his game he'll be limited in just how good he can really be in this league.

Yea but an about-face in a franchise starts with the front office. Your troubles aren't going to magically wash themselves away for you. Doesn't help that the hawks had a few busts on draft day as well. The pieces could all magically fall in place for you but in the end your still going to have to complete the missing pieces to your own puzzle.

Pain of Thought 07-09-2009 10:29 AM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by triangleoffense
Yea thats messed up but I wasn't referring to the team. I was referring to the south in general. I don't see why anyone would intentionally move from the west coast to the south. I mean bibby is a quality PG... one of the top5 or at least top10 in the league. For the amount that he settled for you think there would be more suitors lining up for him.


There's nothing wrong with the south. In fact, Atlanta is one of the more cutting-edge / places to be in the US right now. This is not 1950 anymore, most of the south is respectable. Well, with the exception of AL and MS haha.

triangleoffense 07-10-2009 09:59 PM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
You'd be surprised on how backwards people still think in the south. Sure there's some fairly liberal minded progressive people in atlanta but go 20 minutes outside the perimeter and your in bumf**k county.

JG000 07-12-2009 11:05 PM

Re: Future of the Hawks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by triangleoffense
You'd be surprised on how backwards people still think in the south. Sure there's some fairly liberal minded progressive people in atlanta but go 20 minutes outside the perimeter and your in bumf**k county.


C/S

Atlanta is straight, Georgia is a different story though


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy