Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132229)

Showtime 05-18-2009 11:30 PM

NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Quote:

Charles Barkley always was listed as 6-foot-6 in his NBA career, though he admitted in his book that he was 6-4. The Nuggets’ Carmelo Anthony, listed at 6-8, measured 6-6 1/4 at the NBA pre-draft camp. Michael Beasley was listed at 6-10 while a Kansas State Wildcat, is listed at 6-9 with the Miami Heat and measured 6-7 at the camp a year ago.

So you can’t blame ESPN.com’s Chad Ford for what he wrote a few weeks ago about Blake Griffin: "A surefire NBA stud if he doesn’t measure 6-foot-6, which, in this pessimistic environment, a few GMs fear he might.”

Skepticism is recommended when it comes to heights. Basketball players have been fudging their stature for decades.

But NBA general managers can rest a little easier. Griffin, the plum of this mediocre draft, stands 6-foot-9 in his bare stockings, 6-10 in shoes, which he is likely to wear during important games.

This information comes from multiple sources, including my eyeballs.

...

http://www.newsok.com/blake-griffins...ad_story_title

So the teams looking at Blake shouldn't be worried that he's a tweener who would be forced to play some 3.

InspiredLebowski 05-18-2009 11:32 PM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Standing reach > height

Lebron23 05-18-2009 11:34 PM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
I think Griffin is a minimum 6'7 3/4". Same Height as Carlos Boozer, but Griffith is a better athlete than Boozer.

Valliant13 05-18-2009 11:34 PM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Not huge, but plenty big to play the four with his level of athleticism. If his wingspan measures out impressive it's borderline big enough to play quality minutes at center.

In the Chad Ford article on ESPN about his draft prep they were raving about his ball handling and surprisingly good shooting as well. By no means a guarantee of success at the NBA level, but promising none the less. I hope the same team snags his younger brother.

lukeridnour08 05-18-2009 11:35 PM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Are you aware that 6'10 w/ shoes on is probably a little above average height for a PF???

Valliant13 05-18-2009 11:36 PM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Standing reach > height


He looks pretty lanky on film, at the very least not a alligator arm situation.

InspiredLebowski 05-18-2009 11:37 PM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valliant13
Not huge, but plenty big to play the four with his level of athleticism. If his wingspan measures out impressive it's borderline big enough to play quality minutes at center.

In the Chad Ford article on ESPN about his draft prep they were raving about his ball handling and surprisingly good shooting as well. By no means a guarantee of success at the NBA level, but promising none the less. I hope the same team snags his younger brother.


Same article said he's a lot better defensively than we've seen. He was such a force for OU he had to limit himself so he wouldn't foul out, which does make some sense, though you'd like him to be able to go all out w/o committing fouls.

Valliant13 05-18-2009 11:42 PM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Same article said he's a lot better defensively than we've seen. He was such a force for OU he had to limit himself so he wouldn't foul out, which does make some sense, though you'd like him to be able to go all out w/o committing fouls.


It's was an interesting point. The fact that someone with his ups and toughness wasn't more of shotblocker always struck me as odd. It will be interesting to see how his games changes once he's not the first option, and can scrap a little more on D.

I just hope he doesn't wind on a dysfunctional team like the Kings or Wizards. If the Thunder snag him, and managed to swing that trade for Chandler (medical situation allowing) that would be a lethal core.

StroShow4 05-18-2009 11:46 PM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebron23
I think Griffin is a minimum 6'7 3/4". Same Height as Carlos Boozer, but Griffith is a better athlete than Boozer.


:lol

el gringos 05-19-2009 12:06 AM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Showtime

So the teams looking at Blake shouldn't be worried that he's a tweener who would be forced to play some 3.



I think some teams will be looking at him as a 3 anyway- to me he has the most superstar potential playing an orlando magic/new york knick style combo foreward or as a 3 on many if not most teams

Valliant13 05-19-2009 12:09 AM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by el gringos
I think some teams will be looking at him as a 3 anyway- to me he has the most superstar potential playing an orlando magic/new york knick style combo foreward or as a 3 on many if not most teams


There are no teams looking to play him at the 3. Even the Raps, would trade either Bosh or Bargs, before putting him at the 3 (where the Raps desperately needs help). It's not his skill set, it would hurt him on defense, and take him further from the basket where he does his most damage. He is a protypical 4, that will likely play some 5 when his team goes small (or maybe full time for a while if the Thunder draft him).

bdreason 05-19-2009 12:11 AM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
He's going to be a legit PF.

I see his game translating well to the NBA, assuming he lands on a team he doesn't have to carry.


Griffin was a solid rebounder and defender, despite also carrying the team on offense. I don't think a lot of people realize how hard it is to carry a team both offensively and defensively.


If the Thunder can somehow land Griffin.... watch out.

xx03xx 05-19-2009 03:22 AM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Standing reach > height

prove it

BRINKER 05-19-2009 03:50 AM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
People said Beasley would be under sized and when I watched him before the draft I could see what they meant. Low and behold, he did measure shorter than expected.

With Griffin, I heard people say his height was a concern, but in watching him I never got the impression that he wasnt a definitive, solid NBA 4-man, in terms of size. Low and behold, he measured as such.

NZ33 05-19-2009 05:20 AM

Re: NBA heights: Griffin's size isn't in question anymore...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdreason
He's going to be a legit PF.

I see his game translating well to the NBA, assuming he lands on a team he doesn't have to carry.


Griffin was a solid rebounder and defender, despite also carrying the team on offense. I don't think a lot of people realize how hard it is to carry a team both offensively and defensively.


If the Thunder can somehow land Griffin.... watch out.


Yea the idea of Griffin on the Thunder is scary, they would have an excellent young core with a premier perimiter scorer in Durant, the low post presence of Griffen, and also young studs like Westbrook and Green. Add a few veteren roleplayers and you have a pretty dam good team in a few years.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy