Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fantasy Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Was This A Good Trade?? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13261)

Trade 10-09-2006 03:19 PM

Was This A Good Trade??

I Got

Ron Artest
Drew Gooden

I Gave Up

Richard Jefferson
Zach Randolph

Was This a good trade

My Team

12 Team League on Yahoo.com

PG - D. Wade

SG - T. McGrady

SF - R. Artest

PF - D. Howard

C - E. Okafor

Util - L. Ridnour

Util - A. Harrington

BN - S. Jackson

BN - K. Martin (Den)

BN - J. Magloire

BN - S. Claxton

BN - D. Gooden

Hawker 10-09-2006 03:21 PM

not really

Trade 10-09-2006 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawker
not really

care to explain why

RidonKs 10-09-2006 03:26 PM

In short, basically...

Jefferson = Artest
Randolph >> Gooden

ThaKid 10-09-2006 03:27 PM

dont worry u already have a dmoinant team as it is

Trade 10-09-2006 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidonKs
In short, basically...

Jefferson = Artest
Randolph >> Gooden

I picture it as

Artest>>>Jefferson
Randolph>>>Gooden

Trade 10-09-2006 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaKid
dont worry u already have a dmoinant team as it is

thanks

Hawker 10-09-2006 03:33 PM

i dono actaully it mightve been an ok trade. Zach gets in a lot of trouble so it mightve been a good thing to get rid of him. I would say it was pretty equal trade. I dont kno what u gained except the risk of randolph.

RidonKs 10-09-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trade
I picture it as

Artest>>>Jefferson
Randolph>>>Gooden

RJ = 20/7/4/1
Artest (with Sac) = 17/5/4/2 and some pretty bad %'s to go with it

Now granted Artest's numbers will probably improve from knowing the Sac system and being there longer, but I don't think they're going to get so good so as to pass RJ's numbers, which could increade as well just due to improvement. If anything RJ will be better than Ron, not the other way around, but my prediction will be that they will be about equal.

And like you said, ZBo is WAY better than Gooden. Not to mention Drew will still be splitting a lot of PT with Marshall, and also Varajao.

All in all, not a good trade.

WaymanTisdale 10-09-2006 09:49 PM

You guys are being a little too quick to say that Randolph is better (in fantasy basketball) than Gooden. We all know he should be better, however, Randolph is an utterly pathetic shot blocker. With Gooden you get a much higher FG%, more rebounds, more blocks, and fewer turnovers. And none of the numbers are even that close. Also, Gooden just signed a nice deal, the Cavs are going to be giving him tons of court time and they are in a playoff/championship mindset. Meanwhile, Randolph has gotten worse each of the last 3 years and is on a crowded team that has nowhere to go this year.

thejoyofsobe 10-09-2006 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaymanTisdale
You guys are being a little too quick to say that Randolph is better (in fantasy basketball) than Gooden. We all know he should be better, however, Randolph is an utterly pathetic shot blocker. With Gooden you get a much higher FG%, more rebounds, more blocks, and fewer turnovers. And none of the numbers are even that close. Also, Gooden just signed a nice deal, the Cavs are going to be giving him tons of court time and they are in a playoff/championship mindset. Meanwhile, Randolph has gotten worse each of the last 3 years and is on a crowded team that has nowhere to go this year.

i wouldn't trade ten points and two rebounds for an extra 0.4 blocks. and the Cavs won't give Gooden a bunch of playing time with Varajao and Marshall each sharing time at PF. Randolph is a bum, but the bum was playing hurt last year. he is supposedly fully recovered and should expect at least an 18 and 8 season. Portland isn't all that crowded in the frontcourt. Pryzbilia, Magloire and LaFrentz can't play PF and Aldridge is injured. Sounds like a recipe for a comeback.

adityad 10-10-2006 07:45 PM

It is pretty safe to expect 14 and 10 from gooden with a block and good %. Randolph's problem is really that he might be 1. traded, 2. Reduced PT because of poor defense, and 3. His numbers in a best case scenario are going to be 18, 8, with low %s and high turnovers.

Artest is going to shoot a worse % than Jefferson, but that is the only cat that Jefferson has an edge in. The scoring is almost a wash, with Artest even outscoring Jefferson. Rebounds/Assists are the same but Artest is going to get a ton more blocks. Artest could even gain PG eligibility since there is a lot of talk of him playing point forward. (low chance). Artest also gets a lot more 3s than jefferson.

All in all I'd say that you did ok. Especially if you need help in steals adn 3s.

Tess Squad 10-10-2006 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adityad
It is pretty safe to expect 14 and 10 from gooden with a block and good %. Randolph's problem is really that he might be 1. traded, 2. Reduced PT because of poor defense, and 3. His numbers in a best case scenario are going to be 18, 8, with low %s and high turnovers.

Artest is going to shoot a worse % than Jefferson, but that is the only cat that Jefferson has an edge in. The scoring is almost a wash, with Artest even outscoring Jefferson. Rebounds/Assists are the same but Artest is going to get a ton more blocks. Artest could even gain PG eligibility since there is a lot of talk of him playing point forward. (low chance). Artest also gets a lot more 3s than jefferson.

All in all I'd say that you did ok. Especially if you need help in steals adn 3s.

I agree with this analysis. To add to it, I think its an interesting trade for your team. I think it betters your team. I BELIEVE! You certainly upped your squad on the BLK/STLS/REBs categories. I just hope for your sake Gooden a) plays a full healthy season b) donyell marshall injury risk is realized to keep him below 70 games/30 min. c) he keeps outa foul trouble in efforts to c) average over 30 minutes, hopefully close to 34. If that works out for Gooden I think you got a good trade here.

I feel, yes even with McGrady, Wade and Howard, that you weren't flexing too much dominance in the PTS department. Thefore, taking a slight perceived step back in the PTS with this trade in efforts to up your REBS, BLKS, STLS, and ASTS is a smart move.

Good trade. Good example of a trade where if in a vaccuum and totally on paper (basically video game style) when you don't take into account sh!t like Z. Randolphs 12 year old behavior/attitude (different than Artests, cuz he wants to win) and other factors like where your team stood pre/post trade, then its a bad trade. But relative to your team as a whole, I'd say you made your team better in more important areas and overall stand more competitive now than before.

I try to stay away from drafting any Blazer just on principle. You had 2 and now you only have 1. That is a good move if anything

thejoyofsobe 10-10-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adityad
It is pretty safe to expect 14 and 10 from gooden with a block and good %.

Are we talking about the same Drew Gooden that averaged 10 and 8 while facing little competition for playing time other than Donyell Marshall for most of the year and still only averaged 27 minutes? Now Cleveland has to find time for Gooden, Varejao and Marshall so I think another 10 and 8 season averaging 25-27 minutes per game would be the more likely case. And that's not even taking into account that last season there wasn't really a backup for Ilgauskas so there were more frontcourt minutes to spread around. With the addition of Scott Pollard, minutes will be even tighter.
He only got 14 and 9 when he got a solid half hour the season before last, I don't see why anyone would expect him to best his career rebounding totals this year.
I probably sound a litte disgruntled, but that's only because I owned Gooden last season.