Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Golden State Warriors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Interesting Trade Idea (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136320)

BayAreaSportz 06-19-2009 01:58 PM

Interesting Trade Idea

Got this from the Bobcats Baseline blog and just reworked it a bit.. The Cats don't have a guy that is a 20+ point scorer. Wallace, Okafor and Diaw are they key components and none average 20 a game. Wallace and Okafor are both known more for their defense.

The proposal?

The Warriors send Monta Ellis, Kelenna Azubuike and Brandan Wright to the Cats for Raymond Felton, Boris Diaw and the 12th pick of the draft. Felton would have to be a sign-and-trade and because of that, this trade couldn't happen until after the draft is done (July 1st is when free agents can sign). So the Cats would be drafting for the Warriors next week. If they can grab a guy like Jonny Flynn with their 7th and Dejuan Blair with the 12th, this team could be on its way. This gives the Cats a legitimate 20 point scorer in Ellis and a 16-17 ppg in Crawford. Ellis, Bell, Wallace, Wright and Okafor could make a nice line up.

Another move..

And this is a straight salary dump, nothing more. Send Maggette and Crawford to the Cavaliers for Ben Wallace and Aleksander Pavlovic. Thats $15M off the books for the Warriors next Summer. Its obvious the Cavs need scoring help. Williams, Crawford, James, Varejao and Iggy with Maggette off the bench should remedy that.

The Line up:

PG Felton - Flynn
SG Jackson - Belinelli - Morrow
SF Diaw - Pavlovic
PF Randolph - Blair
C Biedrins - Turiaf - Wallace

Brujesino 06-20-2009 05:01 PM

Re: Interesting Trade Idea

i love the salary dump idea that would be a great idea for the warriors

iam the other trade idea really has no chance of happening but just for fun it would give us a "true-er" point gaurd in felton but i dont like giving up buike
i like the idea of getting blair in the draft gm larry riley said he wanted to add some beef and toughness to the team who better then blair

SixersFan76 06-22-2009 12:26 AM

Don't think Cleveland would have much interest. Crawford can't play defense and they love Delonte West. Maggette is a scoring SF - they have LeBron. He's also a poor defender. Cleveland can likely get a better offer from a team like Phoenix, New York, Jersey or someone else, who are desperate to cut salary.

baseketball4life 06-22-2009 03:32 AM

why are you so pro-trading Monta Ellis?

hater?

SixersFan76 06-22-2009 11:38 AM

Guessing he doesn't believe Ellis is a true PG and that you can't win with a guy like that runing your team. Either that, or concerned about his injuries.

BayAreaSportz 06-22-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseketball4life
why are you so pro-trading Monta Ellis?

hater?

There are a few reasons.

1. This guy maybe offensively talented but he's a team killer, meaning he takes away the chemistry. He isn't much of a passer and will pout in team huddles if plays aren't called for him. A true cancer for this team.

2. He has a horrible attitude. Lets not forget he tried to lie to everyone by saying he was hurt in a pickup basketball game and the truth is, no one will really know the truth. Was it a moped or motorcycle.

One of his quotes.."I've been playing point guard, just look at the tape." I've watched all the games and all he does his bring the ball up the court and jack up a shot about 60% of the time while averaging 3 assists and 2 turnovers. Thats not playing point guard.

3. Lack of a brain. Its obvious this guy isn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer. To play the point, a player has to be cerebal to a certain extent to learn the tiny nuances of the game. Ellis doesn't have that. He's gotten this far on his athleticism and speed, but he won't always have that and with this inability to learn the game, it doesn't make him an attractive prospect in 5 years.

4. He doesn't have a true position. He isn't a good enough ball handler or passer to play the point full time and he's too small to play the shooting guard position.

5. He's a horrible defender, not based on skill, but based on intensity. He could be a really good defender if he wanted to, but he doesn't. I remember seeing Kevin Martin, who is 6'7, blow right past Ellis anytime he wanted. He gives up on plays and just let his player go.

I guess I can go on and on, but you get the point...

Brujesino 06-22-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayAreaSportz
There are a few reasons.

5. He's a horrible defender, not based on skill, but based on intensity. He could be a really good defender if he wanted to, but he doesn't. I remember seeing Kevin Martin, who is 6'7, blow right past Ellis anytime he wanted. He gives up on plays and just let his player go.

i remember he let beno udrih run the full length of the court and lay it in during crunch time it was the worse defense i have ever seen

SixersFan76 06-22-2009 02:16 PM

Here is a counter to those arguments:

1 - There is no indication that he has a chemistry problem. His teammates seem to like him and he was on two good Warrior teams that won 50 games. He was hurt last season and the team was horrible. Is there actual evidence of him pouting outside of last season about anything?

2. - Lying about something that could have cost him $67 million doesn't mean he has a bad attitude, it means he was using the instinct of self preservation. He's a young guy and he's not the first nor the last professional athlete to get hurt while participating in a sport outside the one he plays. If that means he has a horrible attitude, than I don't know how Steelers can survive with Ben Rothlisberg and his horrible attitude. As for selecting one quote out of context, not sure what that shows. He played whatever position they asked him to play.

3. How have you figured out he lacks a brain? How cerebral is Derrick Rose, a guy who couldn't score 700 on his SAT and who can barely formulate a sentence?

4. That could be the case. Might be too early to tell though. Has he had one full healthy season where he was asked to play the point? And there are plenty of players his size who have played on good teams while running at the 2 spot, Iverson, Ben Gordon, etc. He's bigger than both of those guys.

5. He's not a good defender, but many young players are porous defenders. Is he alone on the Warriors in being a poor defender? How good of a defender is Steve Nash? His peers feel he's the worst defensive PG in the NBA, and he has 2 MVPs on his record.

You could go on an on, but someone can counter that you have a young guy who is already a 20 point a game scorer while shooting a ridiculously high percentage in spite of being a perimeter player. Someone who has outstanding athletic ability and a very high ceiling and could be a perennial all-star. Someone who looks a lot like Gilbert Arenas did before the Warriors let him walk for nothing.

baseketball4life 06-22-2009 06:27 PM

1. This guy maybe offensively talented but he's a team killer, meaning he takes away the chemistry. He isn't much of a passer and will pout in team huddles if plays aren't called for him. A true cancer for this team. I don't believe this at all, he's not a team killer, he is one of the main reasons this team won 48 games 2 years ago...

2. He has a horrible attitude. Lets not forget he tried to lie to everyone by saying he was hurt in a pickup basketball game and the truth is, no one will really know the truth. Was it a moped or motorcycle. I don't think he has a bad attitude at all, i believe his teammates like him, in particular he really hit it off with Jamal Crawford from what i've heard they became best friends and in seperable always laughing and having a good time together..

One of his quotes.."I've been playing point guard, just look at the tape." I've watched all the games and all he does his bring the ball up the court and jack up a shot about 60% of the time while averaging 3 assists and 2 turnovers. Thats not playing point guard. he's played point in stretches but almost never from start to end of the game.. I don't believe he's a point, he's more of a two guard who can initiate the offense when he wants..

3. Lack of a brain. Its obvious this guy isn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer. To play the point, a player has to be cerebal to a certain extent to learn the tiny nuances of the game. Ellis doesn't have that. He's gotten this far on his athleticism and speed, but he won't always have that and with this inability to learn the game, it doesn't make him an attractive prospect in 5 years. I wouldn't say it's lack of a brain, I would say he was immature and is maturing now... it's a curve young players go on I'm not worried about that at all... his speed and athleticism is one thing but his midrange jumper is one of the deadliest aswell as he being one of the best in the league at finishing at the rim, on the break, going coast to coast etc..

4. He doesn't have a true position. He isn't a good enough ball handler or passer to play the point full time and he's too small to play the shooting guard position. He played the 2 quite well next to BD for a while, he can play the 2 IMO in Nellie's system he just needs a big point guard who can guard 2's...

5. He's a horrible defender, not based on skill, but based on intensity. He could be a really good defender if he wanted to, but he doesn't. I remember seeing Kevin Martin, who is 6'7, blow right past Ellis anytime he wanted. He gives up on plays and just let his player go. He's not THAT bad of a defender, though it's a weakness he does get steals and gambles... but let's not forget what this player brings on the offensive end... end half of the 07-08 season 24 ppg 6 rpg 4 apg over 50% FG 80% FT 2 stl per... then 2nd half of 08-09 season after he got going, 25 ppg 5 apg 5 rpg 2 stl per 50% and 80% from the line.. not many can do what he can with great %'s...

bdreason 06-23-2009 02:57 AM

Our team is a complete cluster fukc at this point.

Just dump any long contracts, and tank for some top picks.

The Warriors will never win anything by acquiring players through free agency. The owners simply don't want to spend the money it takes to build a successful team that way.

Therefore, we have to rely on the draft. Unfortunately, we like to end up in the 9th spot every year to insure a mediocre pick.

I'm sick of being good enough to just miss the playoffs.

CroqueMort 06-23-2009 09:46 AM

I have seen what the fans of the bay area can do, and they really deserved more than that. I hope that a few good trade the development of their young player will give them a spot for the playoffs.

SixersFan76 06-23-2009 12:29 PM

Actually, the Warriors are one of the best drafting teams in the NBA. It doesn't much matter where they pick, they tend to get very good value. That hasn't been their problem. It's not keeping the guys they draft and developing them together. Their GMs have made stupid trades, stupid signings, etc. A real shame. Great fans who deserve better. But it's not just money spent - they spend cash - they just do it stupid.

CroqueMort 06-23-2009 05:31 PM

50 millions to Corey maggette :banghead: don't get me wrong I think that he is a great guy but 50 millions ????? :wtf:

That is true they now how to draft, and I hope they will take a break from all their stupid decision. The first good decision would be to fire Don Nelson.

Brujesino 06-23-2009 10:39 PM

how about this trade idea?

Jamal Crawford
Brandon wright

for

Ben Wallace
Sasha Pavlovic
1st rounder

how about that?if the warriors are serious of getting rid of crawford this is most likely thier only chance plus both the contracts we get are expiring