Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charlotte Hornets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   posted this on another thread... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142524)

obonpaxis 08-06-2009 04:12 PM

posted this on another thread...

What do you guys think?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but:

As a Bobcats fan, I want AI to sign with Charlotte.

1. Our roster (as presently constructed) is actually conducive to welcoming a high-volume shooter. We don't have many scorers. What we DO have is some pretty good defenders and role players, and a coach who's obviously had success with AI.

2. The Bobcats need revenue and tickets sold if they want the franchise to make it here. This would definitely generate some buzz.

3. After Detroit, everyone expects Iverson to be on his best behavior if he wants to extend his career past this season. He knows his "Canswer" rep and he knows his legacy is going to depend on his present actions. No player with the career he's had wants to go out embarrassed.

So yeah - let's sign him, allow him to start, and limit his minutes to maybe 30-32 a game. Felton is the one player whose minutes he'd affect, but Felton is ALSO a low-percentage shooter who can't really distribute the rock. AI's passing (when he decides to) is pretty much on par with his. I'd rather have an old AI than current Felton. DJ has more upside but he could still get his minutes off the bench.

A starting 5 of AI/BELL/WALLACE/DIAW/CHANDLER doesn't leap out at you as crazy talented, but when you actually think of those guys playing together, they compliment each other pretty well. Diaw makes up for whatever passing weaknesses a shoot-first point guard has. Bell and Chandler don't need the ball to be effective. Wallace would be the second offensive option for once (which he'd be more comfortable with).

This team is a 12th to 8th seed without him, and maybe 10th to 5th seed with him.

rufuspaul 08-06-2009 04:20 PM

Re: posted this on another thread...

AI can play the 2 also. It would definitely generate some buzz. Problem is the Cats don't have any money.

obonpaxis 08-06-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufuspaul
AI can play the 2 also. It would definitely generate some buzz. Problem is the Cats don't have any money.

Lose Felton?

Timmeh 08-06-2009 05:14 PM

That's why Iverson sucked so bad last year is because Detroit was playing him as a PG - which he is not.

As much as we need a high profile guy, we'd have to screw up too much to get him. Unless LB talked him into taking the vet minimum, or as much as we could offer after resigning Felton, and taking a seat on the bench behind Raja Bell.

rufuspaul 08-06-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmeh
That's why Iverson sucked so bad last year is because Detroit was playing him as a PG - which he is not.

As much as we need a high profile guy, we'd have to screw up too much to get him. Unless LB talked him into taking the vet minimum, or as much as we could offer after resigning Felton, and taking a seat on the bench behind Raja Bell.

+1

~spectre~ 08-07-2009 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obonpaxis
Lose Felton?

How...by waving a magic wand? We can't rescind the qualifying offer unless both agree to it and trading him is near impossible because of BYC.

Besides, as Timmeh said AI isn't a PG. Back in Philly LB played AI as a shooting guard with a tough PG (Snow) beside him. IF we brought AI on it'd cut into Raja's minute more than it would Felton's.

Quote:

Felton is the one player whose minutes he'd affect, but Felton is ALSO a low-percentage shooter who can't really distribute the rock.

I definitely agree that his shot needs work, but if you think Felton can't distribute what in the world do you think about DJ? There for a 10 game stretch near the end of the season he only got 15 assists...that's 1.5 per game.

In regards to AI it all boils down to Larry Brown for me. If LB wants him then I'll welcome him with open arms inspite of my worries about him. If not...I won't lose any sleep.

Timmeh 08-07-2009 12:31 PM

It also doesn't help that all of this hype and speculation has been generated my national media outlets that have no clue what they're talking about in reference to the Cats. For example, Michael Wilbon of the Washington Post and PTI is a BIG proponent of AI coming to Charlotte simply because LB is here. He doesn't know anything about the roster and what we'd have to shuffle in order for him to get the PT he would demand. I'm a huge fan of his, but on this issue, he's way off.

Remember, there has been very little talk in the local media about AI coming here. But then again, since the draft, there has been little coming from the local media about anything pertaining to this team.