Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charlotte Hornets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Just want to say something about the city of Charlotte (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149108)

Timmeh 10-08-2009 11:10 PM

Just want to say something about the city of Charlotte

As a sports town, it absolutely sucks ass.

I went to Charlotte Tuesday for the Blink-182 show, and before I went, I walked around Concord Mills.

Even in the middle of football season, there wasn't as much Panthers merch as I thought there would be. Sure, every store had some shirts, but the Panthers were about as equally represented as the rest of the NFL, if not less (pretty sure there were more Steelers, Pats and Colts gear).

Guess how much Bobcats merch I found - 2 shirts. 2. Two. Dos. II.

W-T-F.

And it was only in one store. Out of a Champs, Finish Line, Foot Locker, Nike, Reebok, and 3 locally owned shops - only two Bobcats shirts and they were both at Champs on the bottom of a rack buried under some Chicago Bears merch.

What the ****???

There was more Wake Forest gear than Bobcats. Wake ****ing Forest.

There was more ECU gear than Bobcats. REALLY???? My own school 5 hours away had more than a city's own professional sports team.

Charlotte, you suck at life. You don't deserve professional sports. But I am glad I have my Cats.

rufuspaul 10-08-2009 11:57 PM

Re: Just want to say something about the city of Charlotte

:lol Timmeh, those of us who live in the city consider Concord, and Concord Mills in particular to be the epicenter of redneck loserville. Believe me this town is obsessed with the Panthers. The Bobcats are a ways off, but most people feel positive about LB and the upcoming season. Next time you're in town let me know and I'll take you to a game.

Brakas 10-09-2009 03:19 PM

I have to agree. That is the wrong place to find that gear. All the other malls have a lot more of a selection.

TarHeelBorn 10-13-2009 07:00 PM

There are so many things wrong with your post I don't even know where to start. Are you really basing how good of a sports city Charlotte is by the amount of apparel in a mall 20 minutes north of said city?

Hard to blame the city for the lack of support for the Cats... But there is no way you can say we don't support the Panthers.

Oh, and college sports are much bigger in NC than pro sports so it is not at all surprising that there was more UNC, dook, wolfpecker, wake and ezu stuff than Panthers and Cats gear. This city didn't have a pro sports team until 1988 and that team left. Anyone that grew up loving the Panthers or Bobcats is too young to spend money on that stuff anyway.

Timmeh 10-13-2009 08:06 PM

I know, bad writing on my end...I probably jumped to a conclusion too quickly on it.

However, my basis was that, the closer you get to the city, the more support you should see. I live 4 hours away and there is more support for other teams than the ones in our own state. So I was already on edge as it was.

I apologize for ignorance on my end, I was just expecting more.

onewickedlady 10-13-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmeh
I know, bad writing on my end...I probably jumped to a conclusion too quickly on it.

However, my basis was that, the closer you get to the city, the more support you should see. I live 4 hours away and there is more support for other teams than the ones in our own state. So I was already on edge as it was.

Timmeh--it bothers me, too.

TarHeelBorn 10-13-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmeh

It's OK Timmeh, everyone in CLT already knows that the rest of the state hates us...

rufuspaul 10-14-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn
It's OK Timmeh, everyone in CLT already knows that the rest of the state hates us...

Why is that? I spent 8 years in the triangle and the hate for Charlotte is quite palpable. The government in Raleigh treats us like we're actually part of South Carolina. People I know who live there act like they're intellectually superior to us rubes in Charlotte. Maybe it's because we don't have elite universities in our immediate area?

onewickedlady 10-14-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Why is that? I spent 8 years in the triangle and the hate for Charlotte is quite palpable. The government in Raleigh treats us like we're actually part of South Carolina. People I know who live there act like they're intellectually superior to us rubes in Charlotte. Maybe it's because we don't have elite universities in our immediate area?

RP--the problem is not with the place that is hated. the problem is with the haters. why are they so character deficient that they feel the need to hate on someone, something, whatever...............?

~spectre~ 10-14-2009 07:14 PM

I've lived in Raleigh (Apex) for the last 22 years and I've not encountered any hate for Charlotte one time.

Maybe I hang in the wrong circles?

Personally tho I hate how Charlotte has been reluctant to welcome the Bobcats. IMO the Hornets leaving as an excuse is pretty lame. Having a pro team...and an NBA pro team on top of that...is a luxury.

Timmeh 10-14-2009 07:25 PM

I think most of the hate for Charlotte comes because Charlotte is a long drive from anywhere (2 and a half hours just from Raleigh) and that city is basically what everyone attributes NC to. If a pro team comes to NC, it's more than likely going to Charlotte. NASCAR? Charlotte. Big city? Charlotte. Business? Charlotte. Crime? Charlotte (Durham and Fayetteville, but mostly Charlotte).

And I think because it's so isolated from most of the state, the rest of us feel left out. This is likely the reason I was so quick to judge the city.

TarHeelBorn 10-15-2009 12:28 AM

It's lots of reasons that all seem to originate with Charlotte being the biggest city and is growing while so much of the state is taking steps backward as more and more jobs are being shipped to China.

rufuspaul 10-15-2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~spectre~
Personally tho I hate how Charlotte has been reluctant to welcome the Bobcats. IMO the Hornets leaving as an excuse is pretty lame. Having a pro team...and an NBA pro team on top of that...is a luxury.

So true.

Brakas 10-20-2009 02:03 PM

I grew up in Raleigh and had only visited Charlotte once before I moved here. I always hated it and said I would never live here. I have been here for 4 years and really have found a home here. It's not that bad.

onewickedlady 10-20-2009 02:07 PM

If a person grows up in California, but not in Los Angeles, then very often they are a Los Angeles hater. Maybe Charlotte plays the same role for those of you who grew up in NC...Sometimes people just need something to be a hater of.