Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Dolphins GM asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172048)

Posterize246 04-27-2010 05:36 PM

Dolphins GM asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...m.27b8762.html

Quote:

New Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant tells Yahoo! Sports that an NFL executive asked him during a predraft visit if his mother was a prostitute.

“They asked me if my mom’s a prostitute,” Bryant told Yahoo's Michael Silver. "No, my mom is not a prostitute. I got mad – really mad – but I didn’t show it. I got a lot of questions like that: Does she still do drugs? I sat and answered all of them.”

Yahoo! reported, citing an anonymous source that it was Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland who asked the question.

Ireland, a former vice president of scouting for the Dallas Cowboys and who works under Miami's executive vice president Bill Parcells, declined to comment to Yahoo!

Harvey Greene, the Dolphins’ senior vice president of media relations, said: “It’s our organizational policy that we don’t discuss publicly the process we use to evaluate potential draft choices.”
As Mike Wilbon said, I would have flipped the table and knocked his head off.

pete's montreux 04-27-2010 05:37 PM

Re: Dolphins GM asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute

Draft prospect or not, I would have slapped the sh*t out of that GM. And you know what? Rest of the league and media would have probably agreed with his actions. That is low.

InspiredLebowski 04-27-2010 05:45 PM

Miami's GM needs suspended, fined, reprimanded, fired, something. That's completely classless and unforgivable. You hold the player's to such a high standard, in theory anyway, and executives can do this type of thing?

So what if she even was? It's well known she has a history of drug dealing, what kind of character flaw's going to be found in HER, not her son, that you don't already know? Imagine a guy on the street asking you that question, he's getting knocked out. Bryant has to bite his tongue or risk falling all the way outta the draft and losing guaranteed millions.

1~Gibson~1 04-27-2010 05:56 PM

I agree with the two above. There's a fine line between interviewing and what he did.

InspiredLebowski 04-27-2010 06:00 PM

He apparently said sorry.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=5140313
Quote:

"My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that I'm considering drafting. Sometimes that leads to asking in-depth questions," Ireland said Tuesday in a statement released by the Dolphins. "Having said that, I talked to Dez Bryant and told him I used poor judgment in one of the questions I asked him. I certainly meant no disrespect and apologized to him."

Jailblazers7 04-27-2010 06:05 PM

If anything, Dez showed impressive character not beating his ass. I know the interviewers often ask them odd questions to test them but that is way over the line.

phoenix18 04-27-2010 06:06 PM

SMH.

An "apology" is not enough. He should be fired.

Freshprince619 04-27-2010 06:47 PM

Lol his mom obviously had a past history of getting locked up and caught up with ish.
Lets keep it real for a second.
If you had a Job Interview and the employeer asked you that would you make a a scene? HELL NO!
Just because he is a million dollar athlete they should be held to a higher regard?
His mom had him at 15. He had every right to ask question about his mom

pete's montreux 04-27-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshprince619
Lol his mom obviously had a past history of getting locked up and caught up with ish.
Lets keep it real for a second.
If you had a Job Interview and the employeer asked you that would you make a a scene? HELL NO!
Just because he is a million dollar athlete they should be held to a higher regard?
His mom had him at 15. He had every right to ask question about his mom

Can you tell us what his mother has to do with him playing in the NFL?

~primetime~ 04-27-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Can you tell us what his mother has to do with him playing in the NFL?

I understand it...they don't want a guy with a troubled background.

you talking about a multi million dollar investment you want to know everything about your investment...

I don't know how I feel about this right now to be honest...

I am sure he wasn't just outright calling his mother a whore...more along the lines of "we have reason to believe your mother was involved in prostitution at one point in her life, is that behind her now?"

Dez did the right thing...don't flip out and ruin your whole career over indecent questions...

he should have just stood up and walked out of the room...

pete's montreux 04-27-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~primetime~
I understand it...they don't want a guy with a troubled background.

you talking about a multi million dollar investment you want to know everything about your investment...

I don't know how I feel about this right now to be honest...

I am sure he wasn't just outright calling his mother a whore...more along the lines of "we have reason to believe your mother was involved in prostitution at one point in her life, is that behind her now?"

Dez did the right thing...don't flip out and ruin your whole career over indecent questions...

he should have just stood up and walked out of the room...

90% of the league would be out of a job if NFL GM's didn't want players with troubled backgrounds. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

I'd understand if Bryant showed a tendency to get in trouble throughout his high school and collegiate career, but he hasn't, right? So once again, what does his mother's former occupation have anything to do with Dez Bryant the player?

It was a completely base-less and off-color question that never should have been asked. This guy needs to be disciplined.

Real Men Wear Green 04-27-2010 11:55 PM

Bryant should have told him to go **** himself. Would you want to work for a guy after he said that shit to you? I would have been like, "**** Miami, and **** anyone that doesn't understand why."

Go Getter 04-28-2010 12:37 AM

Yeah I AGREE with what most said you have to show a man's mother a little more respect than that.

~primetime~ 04-28-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete's montreux
90% of the league would be out of a job if NFL GM's didn't want players with troubled backgrounds. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

I'd understand if Bryant showed a tendency to get in trouble throughout his high school and collegiate career, but he hasn't, right? So once again, what does his mother's former occupation have anything to do with Dez Bryant the player?

It was a completely base-less and off-color question that never should have been asked. This guy needs to be disciplined.

alot of teams avoid players with troubled backgrounds...

Dallas got rid of Owens, just for being a prima donna...

It could be the difference in them wanting to draft the guy or not...

there are alot of companies that avoid hiring an employee JUST FOR HAVING A FAMILY. Many law firms will not hire a female lawyer if she has kids...ect...

however I agree that it probably should have been left alone unless it was something that Dez was really having to stuggle with...

"Is your mom a whore a Dez?"

~primetime~ 04-28-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Bryant should have told him to go **** himself. Would you want to work for a guy after he said that shit to you? I would have been like, "**** Miami, and **** anyone that doesn't understand why."

Somehow that would have givin Dez the thug attitude...

people all over the net I am ready already think that Dez is a criminal, and he has no criminal history whatsoever...no drug history, nothing...

He had an issue with poor attendence at meeting, and has poor grammar, so somehow that translates to being a thug to people...